Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
Special announcement: Not The End Of Sambar Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekrashola

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar '09 6:37    Post subject: Special announcement: Not The End Of Sambar Server Reply with quote

Very Happy Firstly I hope this statement propagates throughout the Sambar Community

No I'm not Tod Sambar, but I have used Sambar Server over the years almost since its first releases which I still have archived somewhere.
For many users it may be the end for those licensed users who depend on the product's continued advancement or particular support and feature issues in their implementation, be it for business or general use.

What we need to do is create an Apache Server styled Organization and
Development Community, much of which exists right here. And if that makes things easier for Tod Sambar we will all gladly accept the release of the source code to the community for further continued development
and innovation. All that is needed is an official statement from Tod Sambar.

As far as its marketed saleable release value is concerned (assuming all
purchasers and sellers are now absolved of any future financial committment to their purchased end product), a support structure can still be preserved in an organization or development community with centralized management.

The problem is in creating that structure first with responsible people who will oversee Sambar Servers continued freeware availability, its new central website, its management and storage of master copy source code which should still be freely distributable, and management of any current financial obligations to the purchaseable versions of the end product which would financialy support the core services provided by this new
organization. Basicaly a support system similar to other open source
community projects which do rely upon consumer grade commercial releases of their end products, such as Linux.

We hope that Tod Sambar will find a way to achieve this end and preserve the continued develoment of a product which just in its versioning history alone is an outstanding example of the dedication of Tod Sambar who has produced single handedly a reliable stable server product that takes the resources of entire corporations to produce.

So hey Tod, If brain drain is enough...its ok to throw in the towel, we hope to see a new beginning for Sambar Server, and we hope that your
new beginning brings you every bit of success you deserve. You must have known that in this late period of Sambars development that you could throw in the towel on it, that the community base is there and ready to take on the servers continued development. Anyone that has put so much time and effort would most likely do the same thing.

I mean if your going to retain copyright ownership the development community will probably want to wait for your final word of approval on any changes to the source code if even your involvement in the resulting organization is in a limited capacity.....

I just put up my new top level domain for some testing and found this out,
and where do you think the first place was I went to get a server running on this domain?

For now Good Luck
SlechtValk

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr '09 18:58    Post subject: Sambar Reloaded Reply with quote

Hi All,

It would be great if Sambar Server would be recontinued (possably as an open source project). If I had the knowledge of programming i would gladly take part in this process, but unfortunately I don't.

But I am wondering, does anyone still have contact with Tod and how does he think about giving away the source to the community?

grtz SlechtValk
Starbetrayer

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr '09 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tod sambar has left his users and nobody has contact with him anymore.

Quote:
how does he think about giving away the source to the community?

Looking at the time, if he had wanted to do it, he would have done it by now.

Our only hope, would be to start a project to mimic the sambar server by doing a reimplementation of it.

Anydoby interested to start a project on sourceforge ?

Starbe
jduffy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul '09 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly contribute money to such a project. It would be nice to push Tod to make his source code public under GPL as a start. I think last I knew he worked for Google. Has anyone tried to contact and plead with him for the source?
jduffy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul '09 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

jduffy wrote:
I would gladly contribute money to such a project. It would be nice to push Tod to make his source code public under GPL as a start. I think last I knew he worked for Google. Has anyone tried to contact and plead with him for the source?

No, he is not at Google. I found him on LinkedIn. Any programmers out there want to contact him? Maybe we could pool our money and buy the source from him if he is not willing to GPL it.

Here is his LinkedIn Profile if you are registered on LinkedIn.

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?action=vmi&id=1846806&pvs=pp&authToken=M9P1&authType=name&trk=ppro_viewmore&lnk=vw_pprofile

Or contact me and I will give you contact information that I have from his LinkedIn page if you cannot access it.

Page 1 of 1