Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
Sambar 7 Pro SSL death - help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddm

PostPosted: Tue 17 May '11 19:12    Post subject: Sambar 7 Pro SSL death - help! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

After a period of time, HTTPS dies but HTTP continues to work. There are a number of SSL failure entries in my server.log file, particularly:

SSL Failure error:1408F119:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac

SSL_accept failed on session [1/0 No error], IP X.X.X.X:port

It seems that Sambar will run for a while without issue, but eventually SSL fails and HTTPS traffic comes to a halt. A server restart remedies this only temporarily.

I have updated the OpenSSL libraries (version 0.9.8r) in hopes that this would resolve the issue, but alas... no dice.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated. I can post config info, if desired.

Thanks for your time!

Todd
PaulnOZ

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun '11 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help, am going to try ssl soon but haven't tried it yet.

Lonely forum this one.

Paul
toddm

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun '11 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply, and for a sign of life!

Sambar is yet another victim of the software lifecycle. I guess a lot of folks have moved on to other web servers as a consequence. It's too bad; I have used Sambar for about 10 years and it has always been rock-solid.

After trying a lot of different things, I have come to the conclusion that the SSL problem I was experiencing has something to do with how Sambar and OpenSSL communicate. After a period of time, the SSL stack goes nuclear and HTTPS traffic stops. This is especially apparent when your server handles hundreds of secure transactions a day.

The only resolution, unfortunately, was to move to a different web server -- I chose Apache 2.2x. It have been using it in production for about two weeks and have not had any issues with SSL/HTTPS traffic. The support community for Apache is outstanding, and migrating from Sambar has been relatively simple. SSL configuration is practically identical (from a config file perspective).

My only unsolicited advice would be to strongly consider moving to Apache, especially if you plan on serving HTTPS traffic. The transition has been very smooth. Apache does not have an FTP server, but you could always repurpose Sambar to be an FTP server (as I did).

Good luck in your Sambar adventures. Have a great weekend!

Todd
PaulnOZ

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul '11 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, have been thinking of migrating, but my hardware would have to be upgraded first. Probably do it all at the same time. One huge migraine instead of many drawn out headaches. Probably see ya in the Apache forums. Paul.
PaulnOZ

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul '11 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......thinking...... Now I'm gunna have to trans-code all of my .stm files into what? Javascript, Perl or perhaps Apache has it's own form of scripting language. SSIs maybe?

How did you deal with it Todd?

Paul
toddm

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep '11 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul!

Sorry for the delay in responding. Summer has been a time vacuum!

We didn't use a lot of the .stm functionality aside from the provided sysadmin stuff, but I suspect there may be SSI's or third-party scripts/tools that may cut the proverbial mustard and do what you seek.

Have you made the migration as of yet? Apache has proven to be ultra-reliable, much like our beloved Sambar. It's a little more anal about script/html headers, but that's likely better as it enforces best practices.

Have a great day and happy tweaking!

Todd

Page 1 of 1