Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
Moved ON

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jduffy

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug '09 11:32    Post subject: Moved ON Reply with quote

I have given up hope that Tod would do the right thing and release his source code for open source. I've learned my lesson to not put all your eggs in one basket.

I have been looking at replacement software. After a year of searching, I have selected Abyss webserver, hMailserver, and Filezilla server for FTP. I had been running ejabberd for instant messaging for several years now already since I could never get it running with Sambar.

So I have replaced all the functionality I had with Sambar and all the above are very easy to configure and run. I even have Squirrelmail in place for webmail access.

Out of all the above software, only Abyss charges a license fee. So my conversion cost $59

Another software vendor I used at one time, Instantserver, also stopped selling his software. At least he is still supporting it, but I could see the writing on the wall when he stopped development of all version 2 years ago.

So my advice, whatever you choose to replace Sambar, make sure there are a lot of users and open source being preferred.

I will still visit here, but wanted to let everyone know there are great replacements out there for Sambar.
jduffy

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec '09 11:48    Post subject: checking in Reply with quote

I hope everyone is well. Been coming back to see if there are any new posts or news on Sambar. Looks like no one has been able to get Tod to give up the source.

My Abyss, hMailserver and Filezilla system is working wonderfully and I have far less support issues with it than Sambar. Sambar was good, but quirky at times and no one to fix it.

So have any others moved off of Sambar? What have you moved to besides Apache? What are you using for mail/FTP?
rgibson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec '09 22:12    Post subject: Re: checking in Reply with quote

I'm still using SAMBAR and have (knocking on wood) no problems. 25 vhosts and about 150 email users.
I don't use some of the features like the webDAV stuff.
Most of my users just want a website and email services.
I provide remote backup and DDNS services to a few clients though.

Randy

[quote="jduffy"]I hope everyone is well. Been coming back to see if there are any new posts or news on Sambar. Looks like no one has been able to get Tod to give up the source.

My Abyss, hMailserver and Filezilla system is working wonderfully and I have far less support issues with it than Sambar. Sambar was good, but quirky at times and no one to fix it.

So have any others moved off of Sambar? What have you moved to besides Apache? What are you using for mail/FTP?[/quote]
Johannes

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec '09 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

I am still using Sambar as well.

Quote:
I'm still using SAMBAR and have (knocking on wood) no problems. 25 vhosts and about 150 email users.
I don't use some of the features like the webDAV stuff.
Most of my users just want a website and email services.
I provide remote backup and DDNS services to a few clients though.

Question regards Sambar mail:
How do you manage antivirus and especially spam ? I wasn't able to get spamassasin working and I have no idea how to integrate antivirus.
Still using Mercury/32 as mailserver. Would like to use Sambar as it has build-in webmail interface.

Johannes
rgibson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec '09 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johannes wrote:
Question regards Sambar mail:
How do you manage antivirus and especially spam ? I wasn't able to get spamassasin working and I have no idea how to integrate antivirus.
Still using Mercury/32 as mailserver. Would like to use Sambar as it has build-in webmail interface.

Johannes

I stopped using the AVscanner script as it caused too many problems.
Had the same problems with spamassassin.
I just tell my customers they should keep THEIR AV products uptodate.
as far as SPAM, I use the Verift Sender, Verify envelope, use DNSBL with bl.spamcop.net as the server and I have built a local DNSBL thats over 6MB of entries containing JUST IP Address.
I also block ENTIRE IP RANGES

Randy
Johannes

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec '09 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

thank you. Sounds good in regards to spam. How effective is it ?
I am using popfile and some DNSBLs with Mercury/32.

What kind of AVscanner script did you use ?
Would like to get clamav working with Sambar as I have it with Mercury/32.

Those 2 items kept me from switching.

Johannes
rgibson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec '09 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johannes wrote:
What kind of AVscanner script did you use ?
Would like to get clamav working with Sambar as I have it with Mercury/32.
Johannes

.PL Script , I don't remember where I found the original and I can't find the one I was using, but it was something like this

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
my $SpoolFile=$ENV{'SPOOLNAME'};
# Pass filename to scanner
@args = ("C:/SCANNER/SCANNER.EXE", $SpoolFile,"/NORESULTS");
system(@args);
exit 0;

the Path to the scanner .Exe was pointing to Norton Antivirus
and the parameter /NORESULTS would cause norton to just delete the
spoolfile if a virus was attached or the email was infected.
I never found a correct/ proper way to remove the virus and add a message stating the removal.
Then I realised MOST emails with virus's were generated BY VIRUS'S
and I was bogging down MY server dealing with them.
sometimes the scanner would hang for unknown reasons. so I just scrapped the whole email scanner

Randy
Johannes

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec '09 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

what did you use to start the perl script. Using the mail cgi script facility in the mail server admin area ?
Can one place 2 arguments there, one for spamassasin and one for the scanner ?

Johannes
rgibson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec '09 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johannes wrote:
Hi Randy,

what did you use to start the perl script. Using the mail cgi script facility in the mail server admin area ?
Can one place 2 arguments there, one for spamassasin and one for the scanner ?

Johannes

Yes Johannes , I placed the mailscanner.pl in the /cgi-bin folder and entered it's name in the Router CGI Script field of the Anti-Spam Admin area.
The Router CGI Script field can only use one script, but that script can do any number of operations. ie. you could scan for virus, if found then delete. no further actions needed, if no virus found then process again for spam.
One problem I had with virus scanners was their realtime features, and they would nail the file as soon as it was created which normally would be a good thing, but it screwed up sambar , as it would lock the file and sambar wouldn't be able to process it.
You're gonna need an AV scanner with the ability to turn OFF realtime scanning.

Randy
Spikecity

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul '10 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Active Perl seems to behave differently to Perl used on Linux servers, I was forced to replace my all Windows XP home server by a Linux (Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition) one.

Apart from having to relearn Linux command language (in PuTTY) which even for an old DOS dog is more or less a challenge, the freeware ISP Config server package makes a Ubuntu machine into a stable mail/web/ftp platform, based on Apache 2, Pure-FTP and postfix/clamav/amavis for smtp/pop3, comparable with Sambar performance and through the web interface of ISP config is it pretty well configurable to my needs.

I do however still use Sambar on my dev machines for core development in Perl en PHP.
gussuk

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan '12 2:17    Post subject: Re: Moved ON Reply with quote

jduffy wrote:
I have given up hope that Tod would do the right thing and release his source code for open source. I've learned my lesson to not put all your eggs in one basket.

I have been looking at replacement software. After a year of searching, I have selected Abyss webserver, hMailserver, and Filezilla server for FTP. I had been running ejabberd for instant messaging for several years now already since I could never get it running with Sambar.

So I have replaced all the functionality I had with Sambar and all the above are very easy to configure and run. I even have Squirrelmail in place for webmail access.

Out of all the above software, only Abyss charges a license fee. So my conversion cost $59

Another software vendor I used at one time, Instantserver, also stopped selling his software. At least he is still supporting it, but I could see the writing on the wall when he stopped development of all version 2 years ago.

So my advice, whatever you choose to replace Sambar, make sure there are a lot of users and open source being preferred.

I will still visit here, but wanted to let everyone know there are great replacements out there for Sambar.

hi
I was just checking out the Abyss server you mentioned and the screen shots look nice but the authors are in Tunisia. Do you realizes where this is? have you had any problems with it? vulnerabilities?
Just asking.

Page 1 of 1