Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at

In the forum there are links to,
replace "" with ""
How-to More than one domain with your SSL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sambar Forum Index -> How-to's & Documentation & Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun '04 20:34    Post subject: How-to More than one domain with your SSL Reply with quote

A nice tip I read at the list from Ken Johanson

In the past, several people (including myself) have asked for a way to get Sambar Server to support multiple SSL certs, for servers that host more than one domain. But it turns out that SSL (x509 version 3, specifically), has built-in support for multiple domains per certifcate!!

Just add the following line to your config/openssl.cnf file, in the [ v3_ca ] section:

subjectAltName = DNS:,DNS:*,DNS:*

This line adds additional domains that browsers will validate a certificate against. Note the comma-separated-list format ; it allows you to add as many for few as you want. As in the example, you can also use wild card certs.

You need to re-create your certificate after adding that line to openssl.cnf, put the cert into your config/ dir, then restart your server.

I've verified that all modern browsers support this; Mozilla, Firebird, Safari, & IE. Theoretically, older software that uses SSL (email clients, etc) may not have support for this feature. It also does not provide a distinct cert based on IP address (the contemporary ssl binding method), but that's probably not going to be a problem for most of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sambar Forum Index -> How-to's & Documentation & Tips
Page 1 of 1