Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
Sambar on Linux - GREAT!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jduffy

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb '07 21:23    Post subject: Sambar on Linux - GREAT!! Reply with quote

I converted my Sambar server from Windows to Linux over a month ago. I am using Kubuntu to run it. It works great. I like that fact that I can easily move the Sambar directory to another Linux machine so that when I take the main server down to do anything to the hardware in terms of maintenance, I can run it temporarily on another system. It is so easy to manage. And the software does not get entwined in registries or other parts and directories of the Linux system. And after I got help to figure out how to install the autostart script in a Debian version of Linux, it's perfect.

So those of you who are tired of paying high MS license fees and the endless security updates from MS, don't be afraid to move your Sambar server to Linux.
mbsouth

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb '07 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It works great.
Quote:
I can run it temporarily on another system. It is so easy to manage. And the software does not get entwined in registries or other parts and directories of the Linux system.
Quote:
So those of you who are tired of paying high MS license fees and the endless security updates from MS, don't be afraid to move your Sambar server to Linux.

THATS IT! You are right!

But a lot off things are open issues (Win + X):

-> Integreated SQL-AUTH
-> Valid XHTML Code (administration and user-interface like webmail ...)
-> Directories outside Sambars install dir (on Linux -> like /tmp /mail /log)

mbsouth
Spikecity

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb '07 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbsouth wrote:
But a lot off things are open issues (Win + X):

-> Integreated SQL-AUTH
-> Valid XHTML Code (administration and user-interface like webmail ...)
-> Directories outside Sambars install dir (on Linux -> like /tmp /mail /log)

On the first issue..... if you need it I can agree

On the second issue.... for what purpose xhtml ?? does your browser not show the current pages correctly ?
This is the backoffice of Sambar that only is seen by admins and allthough I agree on complying to xhtml it is not a MUST, only desirable Wink
Compare the admin center of sambar with the one (non existing) in apache.

On your last item ??
I'm baffled as this worked already since 5.3 pro.
I run a few sambar servers and even use network directories which are on a completely different servers without a problem.
As long as a (DOS) drive letter is assigned to any directory in the network Sambar can access it as long as you assign the full path to the virtual dir.
jduffy

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb '07 15:12    Post subject: I have to agree on last point Reply with quote

I have Sambar installed in /usr/local/sambar

All my virtual server files are located in /home/user/nameofvirtualsite/

I can also restrict an FTP user to the virtual site directory under /home/user/
mbsouth

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb '07 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Spikecity:
Quote:
On the second issue.... for what purpose xhtml ?? This is the backoffice of Sambar that only is seen by admins ...

?? webmail user and vhost-admins comes with different browsers.
You need 100% css-class combatibility to customize your webmail (...) instead you have to change hundrets lines of code after upcoming updates.
Quote:
On your last item ??
I'm baffled as this worked already since 5.3 pro.

It works perfect on windows!

To jduffy:
Quote:
I have Sambar installed in /usr/local/sambar
All my virtual server files are located in /home/user/nameofvirtualsite/

Try to install (split) sambar-server with different mountpoints (on different hdd) like
/tmp --> hdc5 (hdd 2)
/log --> hdd5 (hdd 3)
/mailspool --> hde5 (hdd 4)

not in the same directory like .../.../sambar

mbsouth
Spikecity

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb '07 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbsouth wrote:
?? webmail user and vhost-admins comes with different browsers.
You need 100% css-class combatibility to customize your webmail (...) instead you have to change hundrets lines of code after upcoming updates.

Agreed, but I look at this from my perspective, where sambar is mainly a big mail/webserver beast doing what it should do and webmail is working for us (if we ever use it).
mbsouth wrote:
Try to install (split) sambar-server with different mountpoints (on different hdd) like
/tmp --> hdc5 (hdd 2)
/log --> hdd5 (hdd 3)
/mailspool --> hde5 (hdd 4)

not in the same directory like .../.../sambar

mbsouth

Again, I must admit not having sambar running on Linux/Unix so probably you are right, but it seems that nox has a lower priority for Tod over Windows.
jduffy

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar '07 13:13    Post subject: Well I have done this Reply with quote

I have installed Sambar on a USB pen drive with the web page files on the hard drive and that worked perfectly. I almost thought about running the whole web server and web files off the pen drive. You can get pen drives with 8GBs of capacity - heck I think there are ever bigger pen drives and more to come.
Johannes

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr '07 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jduffy,

through a friend of mine I am starting on Linux (Ubuntu) too, it's still new (4 weeks now) to me.
I was able to install Sambar on Ubuntu edgy server 6.10 test run(install only). And the server is terminal only, makes it a bit harder to start & learn, but I like to work with the terminal. You are right, just nice to see Sambar on Linux. If staying with Linux, some things of Sambar will be new to me, Mail & FTP as I use right now other applications which were earlier in place than sambar.

Hopefully I will get it working as good as in windows.

Johannes
jduffy

PostPosted: Sun 06 May '07 14:23    Post subject: Use Ubuntu with KDE or Gnome Reply with quote

Johannes,

I have it running under Kubuntu (KDE windows like environment) but you can run it under Ubuntu with the Gnome. I like KDE better. If you run it that way, you will see no performance difference and it is easier to manage with the graphical interface. I just upgrade to Kubuntu 7.10 and it runs fine on the latest version.
tage

PostPosted: Sat 02 May '15 18:01    Post subject: Re: Sambar on Linux - GREAT!! Reply with quote

jduffy wrote:
I converted my Sambar server from Windows to Linux over a month ago. I am using Kubuntu to run it. It works great. I like that fact that I can easily move the Sambar directory to another Linux machine so that when I take the main server down to do anything to the hardware in terms of maintenance, I can run it temporarily on another system. It is so easy to manage. And the software does not get entwined in registries or other parts and directories of the Linux system. And after I got help to figure out how to install the autostart script in a Debian version of Linux, it's perfect.

Hello jduffy
Do you have the opportunity to show what you did to get autostart to work. I have had it working, but when I restart, it is not every time it works.
I saw that the TeamViewer has been able to make an icon to the tray, can one also make to Sambar one that is acting in the same manner as in "Wincan".
I am still newbee to this.

Johannes have helped me a lot too.

Page 1 of 1