Forum Index Search Forum Register Log in

Runs on XP to Win 10

Current

Download 7.0

Download 7.1 Beta5 upgrade

A donation makes a contribution towards the time and effort that's going in to running this site.

Steffen

My mail address is
at the top of the paypal form :

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well.

Update your links !! November 2016 the forum is at www.apachelounge.com/sambar

In the forum there are links to sambarserver.info,
replace "sambarserver.info" with "apachelounge.com/sambar"
Sambar migrating forum at Apache Lounge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec '07 11:07    Post subject: Sambar migrating forum at Apache Lounge Reply with quote

I opened a forum at www.apachelounge.com. You are all welcome there.

Steffen

Last edited by Steffen on Tue 01 Jan '08 20:02; edited 2 times in total
keff

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec '07 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I just need to go ahead and accept the path that has been chosen for me...I would like to support the Open Source Movement...but I can nolonger wait for features and ease of managment that has been built into the Windows Server System. I just don't have time to teach myself something that may or may not be a standard next year. Sambar Server was the closest thing to Greatness the internet has ever seen in a Web Server Platform. Goodbye Tod...I could tell it when we talked on the phone...you sounded tired. I have been with you almost 10 years now...and you have been a life savior for my projects. Good luck in your endeviors.

Best Wishes,

Keff (Defunct Sambar Script Writer)
jduffy

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan '08 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen,

I hope you keep the forum up for a year or more. There are still many people who are going to continue with this orphan until they can work out something different. Who knows, maybe Tod will do the right thing and put the source into the public domain so someone else can pick it up and move forward. Anyone know how to get in touch with him so I can make the suggestion?

In the meantime, I will be looking for software for Linux. I like Apache, but it seems a bit overwhelming to configure. Also need a mail server, a list server, and FTP server. Oh, Linux has them, but they all seem to be command line driven. I would like something like Sambar that can be configured from a GUI.

Anyone knows something else out there that can take the place of Sambar, let me know.

Duffy
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan '08 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy, you are right. I shall keep the forum open. Sambar is still a good server, only some extra's like jabber and mailsever have for some issues.
Johannes

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan '08 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to second the comment from keff and for me, I still will stay with Sambar too even if I use it only for http.
And Steffen, even if it is pretty quite here, it is still a place to share problems, thoughts.....

If you ever want to close this down, let me know. Maybe we can move over to my server if there is still interest.

And for Tod, good luck for your future.

Johannes
jduffy

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan '08 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

keff wrote:
Well, I think I just need to go ahead and accept the path that has been chosen for me...I would like to support the Open Source Movement...but I can nolonger wait for features and ease of managment that has been built into the Windows Server System. I just don't have time to teach myself something that may or may not be a standard next year. Sambar Server was the closest thing to Greatness the internet has ever seen in a Web Server Platform. Goodbye Tod...I could tell it when we talked on the phone...you sounded tired. I have been with you almost 10 years now...and you have been a life savior for my projects. Good luck in your endeviors.

Best Wishes,

Keff (Defunct Sambar Script Writer)

Keff, I have been looking into and playing with Webmin. Provides a GUI front-end to Apache and a long host of other applications. Looks promising and I am running Linux and not Windows. MS just becoming too expensive and Vista is just a crappy OS in my opinion. So I am trying to stay open source from now on and staying away from the one developer programs.
dmallor

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan '08 21:17    Post subject: SAD, SO SAD Reply with quote

Been a while fellow Sambarians Smile

Very sad to see Sambar go. Understandable though as much of his life he dedicated to the product. So what are the plans for Sambar. Is it just being closed down or being released GPL? Also, anyone know of a replacement for Sambar's simple Document Manager.

I'd wish Todd lots of luck if sambar.com MX was stilll active Smile

Danny Mallory
Liquid

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb '10 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't get this, you can still buy this server, you can still buy a key..but there is no support? don't make any sence at all.
Here is a good idea, Someone contact tod ask him to hand this project to a small development team of users here, with the source code many people could develop Sambar...as it is now, "as is" with no code there is no way of fixing stuff, seems unfair to the public buying this, lets face it its still selling at 60 odd quid.
Liquid

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb '10 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm there's an idea think I will write a code sell it for 60 odd quid and make it un-supported...I am tired, ill etc but I would not let people down and still take there money.

Page 1 of 1