logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot load C:/php514/php5.apache2.dll b/c C++ won't install
Author
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun '06 11:14    Post subject: Cannot load C:/php514/php5.apache2.dll b/c C++ won't install Reply with quote

I know absolutely nothing about C or C++ programming, I am only trying to install it b/c the "readme.txt" and posts here (example) indicate it is neccessary. I'm getting an error about a missing DLL when I try to install C++. Has anyone else had this problem. Which DLL is not specified.

First, is C++ really neccessary? Or only if you want to compile yourself?
(I already installed Apache and PHP)

What about the "httpd.exe.manifest"? Again, is this only if you want to compile yourself?

I am nervous about overwritting Apache executables I may already have installed. Apache started fine before I installed PHP and adjusted "httpd.conf" and "php.ini".

Sooo.....
....is it necessary to follow the tutorial to get PHP 5.1.4 working with Apache 2.2.2? Or is that whole thing only for some custom installation?

Is that the only way to use the DLL from Apache Lounge?

Please excuse my ignorance.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun '06 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install c++ (express) is not neccary, only the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (the binary is build with VC 2005), see www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Which version of Apache you running ?

Steffen
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun '06 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
...only the C++ 2005 Redistributable Package...
That's what I was trying to install...I followed the link, the same as the one you gave.

I am running Apache 2.2.2. I just installed last night and it ran fine. As soon as I installed and configured for PHP 5.1.4, Apache won't start.

In the PHP docs, people can make comments, and the owner of Apache Lounge said that PHP has not updated their dll yet to get PHP working with Apache 2.2.x, and that he's created one.

I already overwrote the DLL that came with the install with his verion.

What does "httpd.exe.manifest" do??
Do I need to compile Apache the "Apache Lounge" way to use the DLL this guy created?
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun '06 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wrote:
That's what I was trying to install...

Do I understand you correct, that you cannot install C++ 2005 Redistributable Package ?

Nope, you do not have to compile anything.

Just download the php5apache2.dll from here and follow the instructions. It is already discussed a lot of times in the forums here, maybe you can do a search.

httpd.exe.manifest just contains info that windows need to find the needed windows .dll's
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun '06 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. The installer tells me I'm missing a DLL, but doesn't say which one. I haven't even gone on the Microsoft KB yet b/c I didn't even know if I needed the C++ Redistributable.

Steffan wrote:
Nope, you do not have to compile anything...httpd.exe.manifest just contains info that windows need to find the needed windows .dll's
OK. I started to think maybe this was all for some customized install and I didn't want to even try anything or read what might be confusing until I knew the purpose.

Out of curiosity:
  1. What is a "Redistributable", anyway?
  2. If I don't compile anything, what's C++ needed for? (I've never heard of PHP requiring another programming language.)

Thanks for your quick reply! Smile

I think I'll take a nap after dinner, then have a hand at the tutorial. If it's too hard, I might just go back to Apache 2.0.58. This server is not "live", but you know, you have to adjust your coding for a new server, so I'd rather use the latest to begin with.

When I have a full PHP/MySQL/(Perl?)/Apache site, I'll have a hand at hosting it myself. [sarcasm]Fun, fun fun.[/sarcasm]
Jorge

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun '06 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbyTech wrote:
That's correct. The installer tells me I'm missing a DLL, but doesn't say which one. I haven't even gone on the Microsoft KB yet b/c I didn't even know if I needed the C++ Redistributable.

Steffan wrote:
Nope, you do not have to compile anything...httpd.exe.manifest just contains info that windows need to find the needed windows .dll's
OK. I started to think maybe this was all for some customized install and I didn't want to even try anything or read what might be confusing until I knew the purpose.

Out of curiosity:
  1. What is a "Redistributable", anyway?
  2. If I don't compile anything, what's C++ needed for? (I've never heard of PHP requiring another programming language.)

Thanks for your quick reply! Smile

I think I'll take a nap after dinner, then have a hand at the tutorial. If it's too hard, I might just go back to Apache 2.0.58. This server is not "live", but you know, you have to adjust your coding for a new server, so I'd rather use the latest to begin with.

When I have a full PHP/MySQL/(Perl?)/Apache site, I'll have a hand at hosting it myself. [sarcasm]Fun, fun fun.[/sarcasm]

The redistributable are a core set of dll's,
Every program comile with MSVC80 requires them... same for older version of MSCV... but usually they are allready installed on the operating system... i nthe case of MSVC80 they arent.... it's not a huge download and doesn't take up mutch space.
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun '06 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what DLL I could be missing that the Redistibutable doesn't install?

BTW, I did look on Microsoft's website, and the only issues that came up searching for "c++ redistributable won't install" regard the actual installtion of Visual Studio (service pack 3).

For now, I'm going back to Apache 2.0./PHP 5/MySQL 5...had no problems running it even on XP Home.

Unless I can figure out that which DLL I need, I'll wait until Apache updates their own 2.2 handler. Thanks for your help, anyway.
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun '06 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you cannot install the Windows C++ Redistributable , it looks to me that you have an Windows issue, not an Apache/PHP.

And you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

Steffen
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul '06 1:11    Post subject: warning: this gets real OT Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
When you cannot install the Windows C++ Redistributable , it looks to me that you have an Windows issue, not an Apache/PHP.

And you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

Steffen

I have SP2.
Doubtless I have a Windows issue, but the error doesn't even tell me what I'm missing, much less what I need to do to get what I'm missing.

Well, that's Windows for you. I wish I had converted completely to Linux, but I can't afford to lose all my data, and I've had spotty success.

I understand Windows isn't "better" at hardware support than Linux, just that the computer manufacturer finds/writes drivers for you, and of course, OEM systems usually have Windows. It's because they're OEM, not because they're Windows, that you don't have hardware issues when you keep the OS that came pre-installed on your computer . When you "clean-install" any OS (Windows, Linux or otherwise), the burden is on yourself.

Gentoo supported my hardware almost flawlessly (at least on my other computer), but there are other issues, like encryption problems with the utilities that come with it. For now, I figured I'll do something easier, like Knoppix, Ubuntu, or Puppy Linux in a partition on this computer here. Knoppix doesn't support my monitor at all, I can't even do anything with it because when I boot from it I get green-and-black lines flashing all over my monitor. Even my clean install of Windows isn't perfect...I lost the install CD from the previous OS, and there were reasons I needed to do a clean format & install (that I won't go into here)...my monitor's screen-saver works but not the function to turn the monitor off after a specified time...but at least that's not critical. There's nothing on their website I can see to download, and my computer's out of warranty, and they don't even answer simple questions if you're out of warranty.

Gentoo, at least, supported my monitor with whatever default drivers it included on the CD. So I suppose I'll have a crack at that again when I have more time, and on this computer. Or maybe I'll try Ubuntu or Puppy first. I'm not an elitist, I just want control of my own darned computer. In the meantime, I have to keep Win-Doze b/c I'm taking classes on that platform. Besides, I need to test my websites in IE.

Well, I guess this is way OT. Except, my mind just jumped somewhere else, and I don't know if you find this as interesting as I do. Understand that I only learned how to turn off "Simple File Sharing" to get access to the "Sharing" tab 2 weeks ago, in class, so until then I didn't know how to set permissions in Windows. We are told in class that FAT/FAT32 does not have the advanced permission support of NTFS.

But while Linux supports writing to NTFS, it is not dependable and data can get corrupted. So, in order to be able to access my data from both systems, I have to use FAT/FAT32. So then I should not be able to set proper permissions on those partitions, correct?

Well, this is apparently wrong. It seems that I get the same "Sharing" tab and "Permissions" button, with exactly the same functionality (fine-grained permissions per group +/or user with control of inheritance), on my FAT32 folders as on my NTFS folders!

It seems it only matters that the Windows OS must be housed on NTFS? (I bet that's not what Microsoft intended!)

I don't know what the deal is with the missing DLL on WinXP Pro. It was free for me because I got it through school. I could entertain the notion that Microsoft disabled some functionality in the school-licensing model, but that makes no sense because students could need to be coding on it, depending on the class they're in. It's recent, and it's SP2, so I can't see an explanation for the missing DLL.

I guess I really gotta get going with putting Linux and Apache/PHP/MySQL on a couple of the other partitions. At least, with all my data in 1 directory, I'll always be coding for cross-platform functionality, and I won't have to worry about colliding multiple instances of those programs (since only 1 version will ever be running at once, and they're on different OSs).

Steffan, thanks so much for creating the new Apache 2.2.2 module and for hosting this forum. Seems I won't be able to use it in my situation, nor the newest version of Apache until Apache and PHP coordinate their most recent updates. However, there are some really good Apache security examples here I can implement as I get the time.

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot load C:/php514/php5.apache2.dll b/c C++ won't install View previous topic :: View next topic