logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Coding & Scripting Corner View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Perl script works outside of Apache
Author
robertc

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul '12 19:50    Post subject: Perl script works outside of Apache Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an issue I would like some insights into. I am porting a standalone Perl script into a CGI. Part of what the script does is to open an LDAP connection to another server. This script works fine as a standalone script, but fails to connect when it is run as a CGI. I am running Apache 2.2.22. I am running on a Windows 7 machine to debug as localhost:7080. The final target will be a Linux platform running Apache (Lampps).
I am guessing it is a permissions issue but I read elsewhere that Apache ignores permissions on Windows platforms, so any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

The line that is failing is

my $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($host);
The $ldap scalar should be a LDAP object and comes back as an undef.

Thanks,
Bob
robertc

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul '12 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I just tried an experiment; instead of trying to open the LDAP connection from the CGI script, I called another Perl script from my CGI (which only opens the connection) using system() call. This works.

So
my $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($keyhost)
fails,
but
my $r = system("perl ldaptest.pl $keyhost");
$r == 0 or die "Failed to connect";
works fine.

ldaptest.pl:

use Net::LDAP;

my $server = $ARGV[0];
my $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($server);
if(defined($ldap))
{
$ldap->disconnect();
exit(0);
}
else
{
exit(1);
}

Any ideas, anyone?

Bob
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul '12 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that the user apache runs with is not allowed to connect to the ldap network. Using the default system account, when running as service, apache can't connect to networkdrives and UNC paths.
You might check run apache as a different user.
robertc

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug '12 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,
I took your advice and it appears to be working. Took me a little while to figure out how to set up a new user within our company's security structure, but everything looks good now. Thanks for the help.

Bob

Reply to topic   Topic: Perl script works outside of Apache View previous topic :: View next topic