logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Is PHP 5.2 Actually executing at all? Apache2.2 certainly is
Author
m august

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 20:59    Post subject: Is PHP 5.2 Actually executing at all? Apache2.2 certainly is Reply with quote

Again, I also am using Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2. I have made all the suggested changes to the Apache2.2/conf.httpd and php/php.ini files. All the php5apache2_2.dll and libmysql and php_mysql.dll files are present. Apache seems to load pages just fine.

I have noticed something. If I click on the php.exe directly, I do indeed get a command window, but it contains absolutely nothing, not even a command line prompt - only a flashing underline cursor. I suppose this might be normal since I would be invoking it directly without proper setup, but might this suggest some sort of configuration problem?
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder for what you want to use the php.exe.

It is normal what you see.

You can run it from a DOS box:

Open a command prompt and navigate to the PHP folder.
Now, run > php --help

Steffen
m august

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 21:48    Post subject: Well, I've Done That As Well Reply with quote

Either way, I get a window. If I click it directly, I get a PHP window. If I invoke it using run and cmd, I get a user prompt, of course. And yes, if I type php -help, I do indeed get all of the help commands.

However, if I enter >php -a at the command prompt, it responds as though it has started with the message 'Interactive mode enabled', but the command prompt never returns. The cursor just sits there flashing. Is that normal also?
pnllan

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

When running PHP as a module, php.exe is not involved at all. The EXE is you refer to in use for the CLI (Command Line Interface).

From the PHP manual:

Quote:
In PHP 5 there were some changes in CLI and CGI filenames. In PHP 5, the CGI version was renamed to php-cgi.exe (previously php.exe) and the CLI version now sits in the main directory (previously cli/php.exe).

In PHP 5 it was also introduced a new mode: php-win.exe. This is equal to the CLI version, except that php-win doesn't output anything and thus provides no console (no "dos box" appears on the screen).
m august

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 22:12    Post subject: By the way, Thanks Immensely for your help! Reply with quote

I just wondered if the php.exe also involved some of the same code. I thought it strange that it wouldn't return a prompt, but never mind then.

Here's the next thing I noticed. In the Apache2.2/logs.error file the only thing it says about PHP is:

[notice] Apache/2.2.2 (Win32) PHP/5.2.0-dev configured -- resuming normal operations

But I do get this warning immediately before that as the first message

[warn] pid file C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/
logs/httpd.pid overwritten
-- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
pnllan

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul '06 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been playing with PHP 5.2 since right now it is still in development. This means there could be bugs, but since I have not ran it yet - I'm reluctant to comment.

Again, I run Apache 2.2 that was compiled on my PC or from Steffen's compile. It looks like you got your version from ASF. I stopped using ASF's distribution when they took a few months to release 2.2 for Win32 when they had already released for *nix. Other users have reported issues with ASF's distro, but since I have not ran it - I'll be nice and not make any disparging remarks toward ASF. However, it's starting to look like ASF does not seem to care that much whether or not Win32 users are receiving quality distro's. Just my opinion.

Reply to topic   Topic: Is PHP 5.2 Actually executing at all? Apache2.2 certainly is View previous topic :: View next topic