logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache error log - can an image file be a referer?
Author
radioattic

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug '14 12:57    Post subject: Apache error log - can an image file be a referer? Reply with quote

I am getting many errors in my log that appear to indicate that an image file is a referer.

[Mon Aug 18 23:11:37 2014] [error] [client 50.33.52.160] File does not exist: /home/radioat/public_html/old/sold_radios_2013/graphics, referer: http://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013/Hayes_Philco_Hippo_(1948).jpg

I am running Apache ver 2.2.27 on a Linux server with PHP ver 5.3.28 and mySQL ver 5.5.37

There is no code in either /home/radioat/public_html/old/sold_radios_2013/graphics or /home/radioat/public_html/old/sold_radios_2013, only images.

The only page that calls the image is in the public_html directory.

My questions are: how can an image be a referer? Exactly what is the error log telling me?

Thank you.

Steve Adams
Springville, Alabama, USA
AdrianK_IT

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug '14 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea if an image can be a referer, but there might be something inconsistent in your configuration.

If I visit http://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013 I get a directory listing of .jpgs. If I click on one, I get the image; the back button takes me back to the listing. (Does that make the image the referer? If it does, it's not referring to 'graphics'.)

If I visit http://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013/graphics I get an error page 'Ooops! How ...'.

Something to do with your DirectoryIndex setting? Or <Directory> permissions? Or Alias settings?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Edit: Actually, I get different results from the first link, depending on whether I click the link, or type it into my browser address bar. The former takes me to a sub-directory listing (parent, more, small, thumbs); in either, clicking on the parent link takes me to a blank page ie a script is running which echoes nothing. Very odd!
CamaroSS

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug '14 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, refere can be anything, because it's in a header sent by the User Agent, thus can be forged.
Did 50.33.52.160 behave like a visitor or a bot?
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep '14 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamaroSS wrote:

Did 50.33.52.160 behave like a visitor or a bot?

That IP is not listed as a bot.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache error log - can an image file be a referer? View previous topic :: View next topic