logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: FYI to see your site from the internet.
Author
danshea

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan '15 2:17    Post subject: FYI to see your site from the internet. Reply with quote

I had an issue where I could see my site from the Lan, but not from the internet when I setup my new server.

If you are using a router, you have to go to your router settings (192.168.1.1 or however you access your router settings) and then go to "Applications and Gaming" and go to the "DMZ" tab and put in the LAN i.p. address of your router and save.

I hope this helps someone, I was banging my head against a wall for this until I had remembered that I needed to change that.

Have a good day.
Dan
jimski

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan '15 5:36    Post subject: Re: FYI to see your site from the internet. Reply with quote

danshea wrote:
... "DMZ" tab and put in the LAN i.p. address of your router and save.

A word of caution here for those who plan to follow this advice.

Placing your IP in the DMZ makes your server "naked" on the net. I would strongly advise against doing so unless you are very good with running and installing a firewall on your server and even then I wouldn't do that (except for testing).

The safest way is to forward the external ports that you need to your IP. This method exposes only a small range of ports on your computer and makes it much safer.

Last edited by jimski on Tue 06 Jan '15 16:27; edited 1 time in total
jimski

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan '15 16:26    Post subject: Re: FYI to see your site from the internet. Reply with quote

http://www.linklogger.com/dmz_danger.htm

Reply to topic   Topic: FYI to see your site from the internet. View previous topic :: View next topic