logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Domain Only points to localhost? Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct '15 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you want your own domain, such as hostmyself.com or do you want Freedns to point to your WEB server that you will be hosting on your Windows server?

Does your Windows server currently have a PUBLIC IP address? To find out:

1. Open a command prompt
2. Type in IPCONFIG. It hopefully shows an IP address starting with 10. or 192.168.

see my initial question in the first sentence of this reply. I need to know if you currently have your own domain registered on the Internet with a Registrar and is it different that your WINDOWS domain.
Caton

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct '15 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my own no other services.
yes I do have a public ip. I already know it.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct '15 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I interpreting this correctly? You have a Windows 2003 server that has a PUBLIC IP address and is exposed to the Internet without a firewall? That is definitely not "best practice" and is extremely risky.

Now, are you 100% sure that the PUBLIC IP ADDRESS is what you are seeing when you go to a site such as whatismyip.com, or is that what you see when you go to a command prompt on the server and type in IPCONFIG?

-S
Caton

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct '15 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

>nslookup
"Default DNS"
> server mycomputerip
Default Server: [mycomputerip]
Address: mycomputerip

> mysite.com
Server: [mycomputerip]
Address: mycomputerip

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to [mycomputerip] timed-out
Caton

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct '15 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

from start, Tell me exactly how to use windows server 2003 dns using with xfinity router. port forwarding is done. is dns tcp or udp\tcp? even when I type my computer ip I still have to edit hosts file I want to use dns without hosts file.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct '15 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

for starters, using NSLookup is not what is needed here.

running IPCONFIG from a command prompt will give us the IP address of your Windows 2003 server.

Hopefully, since you mentioned that you have a Comcast router, you have a PRIVATE IP ADDRESS.

If you do not, meaning that your Comcast router is in "BRIDGE MODE," I highly recommend that you put a firewall between your Windows 2003 server and the Comcast router.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct '15 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do not endorse this in any way shape or form, as I am speculating that you have a PUBLIC IP Address on your Windows 2003 server and it is NOT behind a proper firewall, here is how you would go about setting up DNS for your domain.

I am going to make the assumption that the WEB server you are setting up and wanting to add a DNS serer for is different than that of your Windows Active Directory domain.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND that you set up your DNS server for use with your PUBLIC domain on Windows 2003 unless it is TRULY behind a proper firewall. If your Comcast router is just in BRIDGE mode and giving you a PUBLIC IP address directly to your Windows 2003 server, you are asking for nothing but trouble.

Although, I do not approve of doing this, here are simple/basic steps to get you started.

1. Open your DNS server
2. Set up a new DNS zone and make sure it is set to Primary, NOT ACTIVE DIRECTORY INTEGRATED.
3. Name the DNS Zone
4. Set your NS server/s
5. Set your A Records
Caton

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct '15 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

do name servers go to public ip? or private ip?
does the domain go to public ip? or private ip?
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct '15 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go back to my initial question again.

Is this WEB site and domain going to be accessible from the INTERNET, meaning will it be PUBLIC?

If so, then the DNS server needs to have all of its records PUBLIC.

Have you registered the Domain?
Have you assigned the DNS server/s with your Domain Registrar?
Caton

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct '15 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want Domain Registrar I want my own.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct '15 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask the question one final time.

Do you want this server to be accessible from the Internet YES or NO?
James Blond

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct '15 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Don't want Domain Registrar I want my own.

Well you have to become a Registrar to have your domain reachable with your own DNS Server. Just saying...
Caton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct '15 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't I just use my own name servers?
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 28 Oct '15 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated originally and James just re-iterated, any domain that is a PUBLIC domain and is available for anyone to access on the Internet via its name, say for example, APACHELOUNGE.com, must be registered with a Registrar, say some registrar like GoDaddy.com

Therefore, if you want your domain to be publicly accessible by name, you MUST have it registered with a domain registrar.

Now, once you have a domain name registered with a domain registrar, the world needs to know how to find it by name. That is where a DNS server comes into the equation. A DNS server will translate a name into an IP address, since people find it easier to remember a name instead of an IP address.

You can host and maintain your own DNS server, which is what you stated you want to do. Windows 2003 can and will do what you want it do as far as hosting your DNS for you.

However, you must get done what I mentioned above if you want to maintain your own DNS server so that the world can locate your Domain.

Hopefully, this makes things a bit clearer for you.
Caton

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I works on the dns local computer. without hosts file. but not on LAN or internet.
is there a way I get it to work on lan without hosts file?
I really want to get dns to work I want to use my own server not freedns or so.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I an interpreting your post correctly, you want your site to be accessible from the Internet and you want to maintain the DNS records for it. You do not want to rely on a provider such as FreeDNS.

Thus, you want to have your own domain name. What will that name be?

Should you want your own domain name, you need to have that domain name, you will need to have it registered with a domain name registrar (such as godaddy.com, networksolutions.com, etc.).

Once you have registered your domain name, then you can specify the DNS servers for your domain, which you have mentioned that you want to maintain yourself.

From there, we can get your Windows 2003 server set up with DNS.

Also, did you ever get a firewall set up in place between your Windows 2003 server and the Internet?

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you had a PUBLIC IP ADDRESS on your Windows 2003 server, not a private/NAT address?
Caton

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does disney do it with their own servers I scan it it just goes to disney.com dig.com
so isn't there a way I can do it does freedns use some server to get domain on the internet?
and I don't want to pay any money to have a domain on the internet. that's why I used dns server.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just answered your own question when you stated "I don't want to pay any money to have a domain on the Internet."

The ONLY way someone will be able to find your site is by IP ADDRESS only! They will NOT be able to find your site by name, thus your idea of maintaining your own DNS server WILL NOT work.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to see how Disney.com does it? Go to http://www.dnsinspect.com and type in disney.com and see what comes up. It may answer a lot of your ongoing questions. Domains are not free and DNS for such domains are not necessarily free either.

Services such as FREEDNS are geared more towards home users that want to be able to watch their in home nanny cams and want to do it by typing in a simple name and not having to remember and IP address.

As I stated in a previous post, it is easier to remember a name versus a numerical address, thus the reason DNS servers were invented in the first place.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '15 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be 100% clear for the final time.

If you want your site to be accessible from the INTERNET by name, you MUST have a valid domain name and it MUST be registered with a domain registrar.

If you want your site to be accessible by name for INTERNAL users only, then yes, you can use Windows DNS for INTERNAL DNS resolution only.

However, it sounds like you want to have your site accessible from the INTERNET by way of name, yet you do not want to pay to have a domain registered. Thus, your idea cannot and will not work.

Reply to topic   Topic: Domain Only points to localhost? View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next