logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 VC11 service hangs on "starting"
Author
andy_wfc

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct '16 17:32    Post subject: Apache 2.4 VC11 service hangs on "starting" Reply with quote

This is an intermittent issue, but I'm seeing it with increasing frequency. I'm using the 32-bit VC11 builds and have only noticed this issue on Windows 10 but I have seen the same behavior across a half dozen machines.

Sometimes when the Apache2.4 service is starting, it hangs indefinitely. Windows' Services app lists the status as "Starting". I've seen this both on initial boot and when restarting via the Services app. As far as I can tell it hangs literally forever the only way to resolve the situation is rebooting ("net stop" apparently can't do anything with a starting or stopping service).

Most of the time Apache resumes working normally following a reboot. But it never logs anything either to its own error log or to Windows' event system. What's a reasonable way to get logged debug information about *why* the service isn't starting? With an intermittent issue that seems like a necessary first step.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov '16 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a delayed start of the service on those machines?
andy_wfc

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov '16 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make any difference using delayed start. I expected that though since I've seen this same behavior when restarting the Apache2.4 service via Windows' Services app and delayed start has no meaning in that context.
andy_wfc

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec '16 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this again today on yet another machine. I killed the hung "starting" service using sc and taskkill then tried running "httpd.exe -X" from an elevated command prompt.

This also hung for awhile, then printed exactly one line of output that said "Note the errors or messages above, and press <ESC> key to exit". Needless to say this was not very helpful.

As before, nothing was written to Apache's own logs or Windows' event logs.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 VC11 service hangs on "starting" View previous topic :: View next topic