logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: 2 Apache servers on same windows server
Author
thechos3npessimist

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jul '17 21:37    Post subject: 2 Apache servers on same windows server Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the following is possible (Note - My client wants a separate Apache server in front of each of there LIVE and TEST tomcat web servers, rather than use 1 with virtual hosts)

We have 1 windows server with 1 Apache installation which is serving the customers TEST tomcat web server on a separate windows server, we have now created a LIVE tomcat web server on that same server and we now need to create a second Apache installation on the Apache windows server.

Firstly is it possible for Apache to do this?

Apache Installation 1 -> Live Tomcat webserver (https://liveoptions.co.uk)
Apache Installation 2 -> Test Tomcat Webserver (https://testoptions.co.uk)

With just the 1 tomcat installation the Live tomcat URL just re-directed to the Test tomcat URL. When we created the 2nd Apache installation the same thing happened. Obviously the 2 Tomcat installations are running on separate ports, but both URL's are in the DNS mapped to the same IP address (The Apache Server).

Hopefully i've explained this ok, I know what I mean in my head but it's proving difficult to right it down
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul '17 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have use just one apache. No need for a second one.

Just create two virtual hosts (vhosts) and put in each the reverse proxy config for your tomcat.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '17 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible. You cannot run 2 Apaches on the same IP-address and same port, but as long as IP or port are different, you can run multiple Apaches.

I have got a production server (Windows 2008 R2), with 4 Apaches. Each one of them is listening to ports 80 and 443 on different IPv4 and different IPv6 addresses.

For Gregg: multiple instances do have some advantages. At a Apache version update I upgrade the server with the least important websites first, see if this causes no issues and update the instances on the other three IPv4+IPv6 adresses afterwards.

As a BTW: the server even has a fifth IPv4-address. I am using that one to run video servers. Windows Media Services on port 80 and Wowza on port 443.
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul '17 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan-E wrote:
For Gregg: multiple instances do have some advantages. At a Apache version update I upgrade the server with the least important websites first, see if this causes no issues and update the instances on the other three IPv4+IPv6 adresses afterwards

Why me? I said nothing against doing this. When I had 5 WAN IPs I had 4 Apache's on 2 machines for no other reason than because I could Smile
Jan-E

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul '17 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I meant James aka Mario:
James Blond wrote:
You have use just one apache. No need for a second one.

Reply to topic   Topic: 2 Apache servers on same windows server View previous topic :: View next topic