logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How To Remove Apache From Win10
Author
abrogard

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep '17 8:29    Post subject: How To Remove Apache From Win10 Reply with quote

I have IIS on win10 and suddenly can't see my localhost.

We find a process in task manager 'Apache HTTP Server' and stop it but that doesn't help.

We find a service in service manager 'Apache HTTP Server' but it is listed as stopped so there's no help there.

In order to troubleshoot this problem I'd like to uninstall Apache ( I have no recollection of actually installing it - and there's no Apache directory in 'Program Files' ).

How can I do that?
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep '17 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove a service, see: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-windows-service-in-vista-or-xp/
abrogard

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep '17 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that.

I read the warning about deleting - very difficult to put back.

So I wonder if anyone has any idea why that service is there?

What damage might I do by deleting it?

There could be other software that is using it?

I'm only guessing that it is the reason why I cannot access my home page. Maybe I'm wrong. Like to be certain first.

How could I access my home page - localhost, or even the web IP for it - using this Apache service instead of IIS? Stop IIS I guess? And then it should default to the Apache service?
theyipper

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep '17 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could uninstall IIS through Control Panel > Windows Programs and Features
(or search for "windows features")

For some reason after one of the Windows 10 updates IIS was enabled on my machine. I wonder if the upgrade detected I had Apache running and decided to enabled IIS based on that.
Anyhow, I removed it and so far it has not caused any problems.
Qmpeltaty

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep '17 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didnt install Apache it could not install from the sky - someone had to do this. I belive it's not Apache in your case but some malware.
abrogard

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep '17 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think it was part of contacam. that's what i tracked it down to be and uninstalling contacam made the lingering two instances in task manager go away.

now I'll put it back when i get around to it. because i still have the iis problem - or port forwarding problem - or whatever it is... shonky win10 installation i'm thinking now..

Reply to topic   Topic: How To Remove Apache From Win10 View previous topic :: View next topic