logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Totally stumped freebsd-update to upgrade
Author
pschmehl

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb '18 7:18    Post subject: Totally stumped freebsd-update to upgrade Reply with quote

I run a FreeBSD server with several websites on it. Recently I ran freebsd-update to upgrade from 10.3-RELEASE to 11.1-RELEASE. I've run this same process several times before, and I've never had a problem. This time I did. After getting the OS problems figured out, I discovered that the websites weren't loading. After further investigation, I discovered that the httpd.conf file for apache had been overwritten. Unfortunately, the backup was gone as well.

I've checked file and directory permissions, and everything is set correctly. The log files are no help at all.

All the websites were located in directories following this pattern:
/home/username/Sites/sitedirectories. Each site had its own conf file. I had offsite backups of those, so they're fine.

Every url I type in takes me to the root directory for apache. It's like apache is ignoring the include line that calls the other websites.

At https://apaste.info/fNDD is the httpd.conf file for apache.

I can't help but think it's something simple that I've missed, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb '18 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have FreeBSD, but on some linux distros I had the issue that apache load any file unless it has the .conf as file extension.

Code:

# Virtual hosts
Include conf/vhosts/*.conf

make you can check whick vhosts are loaded

/usr/sbin/httpd -S

(maybe FreeBSD has a different path)
pschmehl

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb '18 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very helpful. Thank you. By running that command I discovered that the IP address for the server had been changed, and all the virtualhost conf files were still configured for the previous IP. That fixed the non-ssl sites.

Unfortunately, the SSL sites still aren't working, so I'm going to have to figure that out, but at least I'm a step closer.

I enabled debug logging in Apache. The error log for one of the SSL sites has several lines of SSL being configured, but it appears to be working. The last line is:
Code:
[Thu Feb 08 09:42:14.578353 2018] [ssl:info] [pid 5977] AH02568: Certificate and private key www.vvfh.org:443:0 configured from /etc/ssl/webcerts/STAR_vvfh_org.crt and /etc/ssl/webcerts/STAR.vvfh.org.key

Still don't know why those sites won't load.
pschmehl

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb '18 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sites weren't loading because the provider had changed the IP address on the server but failed to change it on the firewall. So port 443 was blocked. Thanks again for your help. I've been beating my head against the wall for three days trying to figure out what went wrong, and all that time it was somebody else's fault. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with apache when the problem was IP provisioning. {{sigh}}

Reply to topic   Topic: Totally stumped freebsd-update to upgrade View previous topic :: View next topic