logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: I love this site
Author
Brian

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct '06 21:02    Post subject: I love this site Reply with quote

I don't get many opportunities to post, and while I do run a very successful server, I am like many of the other users here, I am self taught from the ground up.

No one can do it all alone, we all need help from time to time.

What is most refreshing is that when someone gets help, they post that the help of others was useful, and how it was useful. Just getting answers here for FREE and then leaving, or getting frustrated when the answers are not available for a given particular problem, again this is all FREE, is a bit of a frustration I am sure for the site's webmaster and the rest of us who partcipate.

I get a lot of time to read the posts, and in fact I have discovered that there are some very knowledgeable posters here. I get a lot from this site, more than I ever mention.

This is the best WAMP support site on the internet.
shnazz

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct '06 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto.
frost_atronach

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '06 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I wondered about starting a new thread, but I'm not good at introduce myself,...so I'll quote this sentence from Brian:
Quote:

No one can do it all alone, we all need help from time to time.

I'm really a noob in using/and configuring Apache, maybe because too often I consider it just as a black-box needed to spend some hours in coding php or whatever you want...I'd hope not only to get help here, but to be of some help sooner or later..at least as soon as I'd completely RTFM, of course Razz
Brian

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '06 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

About six years ago or so I wanted to learn to build a website. I did not have a clue how to start, but with some help from a friend I was able to start building and testing HTML on my local machine, Windows 98 at the time.

I moved and then decided it was time to host the site I was trying to build. So I found a company that over a period of about four months, went from being very reliable, always good for tech support, to becoming a complete nightmare, down more than they were up, no tech support, no customer service...

I decided to learn to run my own web server, the thing of it was, I had no idea what-so-ever how to even begin.

I looked at Apache, and for a guy like me at that time, it was just too complicated for me. But I did a search and I found a server called Sambar. You may be familiar with it, Steffen runs the best support site for Sambar at www.apachelounge.com/sambar .

Well that is where it all began for me, and the support at SS.info, as I call it is, to make a long story short, how I got here.

I would not go back to Sambar for any reason, unless it offered the flexibility, speed, capabilities, scalability, and reliability of Apache. That being said, because of Steffen's SS.info site, some time on IRC, the help of others, I finally got to where I am now.

I will tell you this, there are lots of folks who are much better at this than I am, and yet I am able to host web sites for hundreds of people, out of my home. I also manage servers that I set up remotely which are co-located. I feel that in regards to my own situation, I have been enriched personally and professional, and I have been very successful at this, thanks in no small part to Steffen's support sites and his help.

I like to give back, lots of people helped me out when I was just starting.

Reply to topic   Topic: I love this site View previous topic :: View next topic