logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.7 RC available
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan '08 13:59    Post subject: Apache 2.2.7 RC available Reply with quote

Apache 2.2.7 is around the corner and is available. It is expected that it is official released by ASF, maybe with minor changes. Apache Lounge runs now 2.2.7 with no ssues so far.

The binary contains two patches from Tom, see the below post from Tom.

Apache 2.2.7 with apr-1.2.12 apr-util-1.2.12 apr-iconv-1.2.1 openssl-0.9.8g+asm zlib-1.2.3+asm

10 jan 2008: Apache 2.2.8 is available

Notes:

The binary is now build with #define APR_DSO_BUILD 1
    This will let people use DBD if they want to, without needing to build Apache themselves. It has no effect if DBD is not used.

I included a mod_perl.so which is build against 2.2.7 in the .zip. So the regular/official used mod from http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/ can be used and works also with ActivePerl 5.8.8.822.

Steffen

Last edited by Steffen on Tue 08 Jan '08 23:00; edited 1 time in total
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan '08 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two patches in Steffen's Apache 2.2.7 release-candidate download are:
    1. - The Win32DisableAcceptEx directive caused Apache 2.2.7rc to crash.
    This was a result of an incomplete fix for Apache Bug 11427.
    The patch used is from comment #16 in this bug. It is a trivial 2-line change.
    The actual source code patch is here.
    This patch has already been accepted for Apache 2.2.8, but it wasn't in 2.2.7.

2. - mod_perl fails when Apache is started from the command line.
    This is Apache Bug 43534 which has been around in various forms since 2.2.5.
    The patch used is from comment #6 in the bug. It provides a "NUL" stdout handle for command-line startup, like is already done for service startup.
    The actual source code patch is here.
    The Apache developers have not made a decision yet about this patch for Apache 2.2.8, but you can watch Bug 43534 for updates on the problem.
Even with the patched download, mod_perl users should use the mod_perl.so which Steffen has included, rather than a mod_perl.so from an earlier release.

There is a discussion in the apache-dev list about problems with 2.2.7 when proxying to a site which sends large chunks of response data. This sounds fairly serious - so anyone testing with mod_proxy should remember to check that you really get the full response, and not just "most of it".

It is hard to predict if ASF will release 2.2.7 with these problems, or maybe cancel the release like they did with Apache 2.2.5. Nevertheless, I think it is a worthwhile effort to test this release candidate as thoroughly as possible so we can find all the bugs to get them fixed in the next release.

-tom-
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan '08 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apache developers have apparently decided that Apache 2.2.7 won't be released, but a version 2.2.8 is likely in the very near future.

Re: Apache Bug 43534 - the current 2.2.8 code runs mod_perl OK (both as a service or from the command-line), but the Apache 2.2.8 Windows code now causes some unsettling behavior when run from the command-line (with or without mod_perl). It looks about 50/50 whether this will get fixed for 2.2.8.

Re: the discussion in the apache-dev list about problems with 2.2.7 - Nick Kew has a very interesting blog post about it. This problem looks very likely to be fixed in 2.2.8.

An interesting week ahead!

-tom-
PipoDeClown

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan '08 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile apache.org is running "Apache/2.3.0-dev (Unix)".
what is the status about that one?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan '08 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

PipoDeClown wrote:
meanwhile apache.org is running "Apache/2.3.0-dev (Unix)".
what is the status about that one?

Server Built: Dec 30 2006 20:20:31

It is only the trunk code.

Apache 2.3.x will never be released like 2.1 Wink Wait for Apache 2.4.x or 3.0.x
See here
Mitron

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan '08 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
The Apache developers have apparently decided that Apache 2.2.7 won't be released, but a version 2.2.8 is likely in the very near future.

I would so rather they wait for a fix before releasing it with a major Windows bug. While I'd like to see an ASF release with the mod_pearl issue fixed, I'd hate to run into random issues that no one was expecting. Way to go Nick!

I'm just glad we have Steffin and td here to keep us up and running. Smile
tdonovan

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan '08 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Mitron.

Do you think it would be better for Apache Lounge to post a Windows binary download with a patch, or just live with the command-line problem in 2.2.8?

I don't get the reference to Nick, though. The ASF folks are not particularly fond of Apache Lounge in general - but the only "Nick" there, while not a Windows guy, has always been helpful and considerate to us.

-tom-
Mitron

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan '08 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Mitron.

Do you think it would be better for Apache Lounge to post a Windows binary download with a patch, or just live with the command-line problem in 2.2.8?

Well, personally if I were to run any release, I would prefer a patched version with no major issues. For me though, the command-line problem would probably never surface since I only run it as a service.

tdonovan wrote:

I don't get the reference to Nick, though. The ASF folks are not particularly fond of Apache Lounge in general - but the only "Nick" there, while not a Windows guy, has always been helpful and considerate to us.
-tom-

I was referring to the blog post by Nick Kew. I would have been bummed if I downloaded yet another ASF release that didn't work (or caused major issues) on Windows. Just glad Nick or whoever was able to find the issue in time, before the actual ASF release.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.7 RC available View previous topic :: View next topic