logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: [solved]Syntax of RC.exe being passed incorrectly
Author
mrtechguy

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov '06 4:55    Post subject: [solved]Syntax of RC.exe being passed incorrectly Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I am trying to build Apache 2.2.3 with visual c++ 2005 e.

All of the modules however are incorrectly using RC(thus none of the modules are actually being compiled. Is the incorrect usage of RC.exe a VC fault or apache. What might be causing this?

MTG

Last edited by mrtechguy on Wed 15 Nov '06 10:10; edited 1 time in total
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov '06 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the error you are getting is
    fatal error RC1107: invalid usage; use RC /? for Help
then this is a bug in the Visual Studio IDE.

Resource Preprocessor Definitions which contain spaces are handled incorrectly in Visual Studio.
An example from the libhttpd project is
    LONG_NAME="Apache HTTP Server Core"

One way to work around this bug is to replace spaces with non-breaking-space characters.
You can type the non-breaking-space character as Alt+0160 (i.e. hold down the Alt key and hit 0 1 6 0 on the numeric keypad).

For evey project which fails with this error:
    Click [Properties] [Configuration Properties] [Resources] [General] [Preprocessor Definitions] [...]
    For every definition which contains spaces:
      Remove all the double-quote characters in this definition.
      Replace each space character with a non-breaking-space character.
    Click [OK] [OK]

It is a bit tedious to do this for every project which fails, but it does correct the build error.

Hope this helps,
-tom-
gthornejr

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb '07 1:05    Post subject: Syntax of RC.exe being passed incorrectly Reply with quote

I had this same error building Apache 2.2.4 with Visual Studio 2005 Pro. I had to use the download and run the patch mentioned in rkenning's post "How to Build Apache Mod SSL 2.2.n Using Visual C++ Express" - perl cvtdsp.pl -2005
This seems to have addressed the space problem by quoting the entire LONG_NAME argument.

Gary Thorne

Reply to topic   Topic: [solved]Syntax of RC.exe being passed incorrectly View previous topic :: View next topic