logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: using authentication on a non directory based virtual host
Author
tripcode

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb '06 18:19    Post subject: using authentication on a non directory based virtual host Reply with quote

Hi

I've got a Plone site up and running using SSL through Apache 2.2 on Windows. Took a bit of troubleshooting getting the SSL running but it is all fine now.

My question is this.

I want to use .htpasswd as authentication but it seems everything has to be wrapped in a <Directory></Directory> directive. The plone site doesn't have a directory as it is database backed. If I include the BasicAuth stuff inside the <virtualhost> Apache says it need to be in a <Directory>.

Anyone any ideas here?

Thanks
pnllan

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb '06 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I have played with Plone...

If I remember correctly, it uses Python and Zope...right...to access the database?

So those files are in a folder/directory somewhere...where I'm not sure...it depends on how you installed Plone. Once you know which folders you want to authenticate...you should be able to configure that in Apache with the <Directory> directive.
tripcode

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb '06 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's all database backed. Each site within Plone doesn't have a directory but an area in the Zope database. I only want to password protect one site just now. I've got virtual hosts set up and SSL. However it seems that htpsswd only works over <directory></directory> and I can't specify a directory for the site as it sits in the Zope database along with the other sites.
tripcode

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb '06 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have found out that you can do this with <location></location>

Reply to topic   Topic: using authentication on a non directory based virtual host View previous topic :: View next topic