logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Rotating Logs
Author
tomtom

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul '07 11:19    Post subject: Rotating Logs Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to setup Apache 2.2.4 on a Windows 2003 Server with rotating logs. I tried the MSI-Package from ASF and the binary Package from this site. Both are Version 2.2.4, but they seem to differ in their behavior when using piped logs.

With the MSI from ASF piped logging work, but with the disadvantage of orphaned logging processes after a restart. With the binary Package from this site I'm unable to get piped logging to work at all.

I also tried mod_log_rotate, but since this module is only able to rotate AccessLog and cannot rotate ErrorLog it's not an option fo me.

Is there an Apache Version which works flawless under Windows with piped logging? I also want to use mod_deflate which seems only be available for the lastest versions.

Greetings,
Tom
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul '07 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "Is there an Apache Version which works flawless under Windows with piped logging? "

In short, no.

There are several Apache bugs which were opened for this problem:
    Bug 16761 - CustomLog with pipe spawns process during config

Bug 23616 - rotatelogs.exe stays in memory after apache is terminated

Bug 40651 - Orphaned piped logger process after graceful restart

It has not been successfully fixed yet in Apache, although a change was made in Apache 2.2.4 per Bug 40651 which doesn't seem to work very well on Windows.

Some people (including me) have had success re-building Apache 2.2.4 from source with a change proposed here at Apache Lounge.

-tom-
tomtom

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul '07 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I managed to rebuild Apache with mod_deflate, openssl and the posted modification and it seems to work so far.

Has anybody who rebuild Apache with the posted modification noticed any negative effect?

Greetings,
Tom

Reply to topic   Topic: Rotating Logs View previous topic :: View next topic