logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Instructions for Building Apache-2.2.4,OpenSSL with zlib
Author
Tinkeringtoad

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul '07 22:33    Post subject: Instructions for Building Apache-2.2.4,OpenSSL with zlib Reply with quote

I know this has already been done.
I know that you can find this information on many websites including this one.
But i find that most instructions lack a little bit of detail for the novice.
So Years ago i created a set of instructions for doing this.
Recently i had to recompile and setup a new webserver so i thought id update the instructions to be up to date.
I may have missed a few steps if i did please let me know.
I have tested this several times and it all appers to work just fine.
Id post it here but it would be long and complicated to make it suit the needs. The wiki i put it on has a nice setup and view of menus to help along.
Please review and let me know if theres is more i can add too this that will actually enhance it.
The instructions go from compiling Apache with openssl and zlib.
To installing Apache as a service on windows xp.
It also has instructions on how to make SSL work on your machine along with how to get self signed certificates from Openssl along with how to enable openssl for your Apache Web server
The only thing i did not go into detail on was how you actually start Apache
I think that part is pretty much known but if you think it is relevant i will do so.
Thanks for looking here is the link
http://ajumbledbox.net/YourWiki/doku.php/apache_web_server
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul '07 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice detailed set of instructions!

A couple of small items in the Requirements section:
    "Visual C++ Express Edition, All other Express Editions as well"
    I think you mean "All other Editions" - there's only one Express Edition.

"Microsoft .Net Framework v2"
    I don't think .NET Framework is needed to build Apache, just C++ and the Windows SDK.

And in the SSL section:
    Creating a conf\server.key directory and putting the file server.key in it is a bit confusing. Ditto for server.crt.
    It might be better to put the two files server.key and server.crt directly into the \conf directory.
    This way, you won't need to change the default SSLCertificateFile and SSLCertificateKeyFile directives in http-ssl.conf.

Instead of the three separate openssl commands, they can be combined into one single openssl command (one long line):
    Code:
    openssl  req -config .\openssl.cnf -new -x509 -nodes -extensions v3_req -days 365 -out C:\www\Apache2\conf\server.crt -keyout C:\www\Apache2\conf\server.key

(FYI - the -nodes switch means don't use DES encryption, which avoids problems with some browsers.
    The -extensions v3_req adds extra info in the cert which suppresses log file warnings for self-signed test certificates.)

You might want to mention that when openssl prompts you for: "Common Name (eg, YOUR name) []:"
    - you should enter your server-name, exactly as it will be used in the https://server-name/ URL that your users will access.
You clearly put considerable effort into this. I'm sure it will help many folks build Apache on Windows - especially those who are new to compiling and linking C programs. Good job!

-tom-
Tinkeringtoad

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul '07 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for reading all of the stuff i put down.
Actually i do like your suggestions.
I was actually getting tired of doing all that typing at times and trying too make the layout user friendly.
I will make some changes to it as i get more feedback.
And your suggestions will not gon un-heeded.
Tinkeringtoad

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul '07 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Software i suggest that be installed is used in other ways of compiling Apache.
The Microsoft.net Framework though not a essential part of compiling Apache. Can be used at a later time for development for your Apache Web Server. Some of the information i have posted i have gotten from other web sites as i was trying to update my original document from sometime back. On more then one web site including this one it is a suggested software addition. The actual reasoning behind that suggestion eludes me. But that does not mean its not invalid.
As you will notice i have also added MinGW to the list of suggested software. Not that it is needed if you follow my instructions but if someone chooses to use another convention of compiling the Server and Elements of the server. They will already have the tools at hand.
And it is possible that someone did not follow the instructions completely.
So by adding those suggested software products. It is possible to correct some of the missing Software problems.
Though i do think that if someone follows my instructions they can do exactly what you say and that is just too install the C++ Express and Platform SDK and all should go well.
I do know that the Microsoft.net Framework has new options involved with Apache now that Microsoft has Linked the .net Framework to Apache.
You can read more on that here http://www.dnzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=69
Tinkeringtoad

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul '07 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some changes to reflect your suggestions over at the pages Tom.
Again thanks for your imput.
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug '07 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed your guide.

Very very good guide with a very nice layout !!

Thanks for contributing. Please notify us here when you have upadtes on the guide.

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: Instructions for Building Apache-2.2.4,OpenSSL with zlib View previous topic :: View next topic