logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Third-party Modules View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Help! Getting Started w/ Mod Security
Author
flyingmonkey

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug '07 1:38    Post subject: Help! Getting Started w/ Mod Security Reply with quote

I've added the following to the end of my httpd.conf, but I am not sure if it's in the right place. Is this the right place?

Also, it's not writing to the logs/mod_security2.log file (as copied from the mod_security download from here), but is writing issues to the error.log, modsec_audit.log, and the modsec_debug.log. I've placed the core mod_security rules into the conf/modsecurity2/ folder. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Code:

<IfModule security2_module>

SecRuleEngine On
   SecDefaultAction log,auditlog,deny,status:403,phase:2,t:lowercase,t:replaceNulls,t:compressWhitespace

SecAuditEngine RelevantOnly
   SecAuditLogType Serial
   SecAuditLog logs/mod_security2.log

## -- General rules --------------------

SecRule ARGS "c:/" t:normalisePathWin
   SecRule ARGS "\.\./" t:normalisePathWin
   SecRule ARGS "d:/" t:normalisePathWin

## -- phpBB attack --------------------
   SecRule ARGS:highlight "(\x27|%27|\x2527|%2527)"

# Load Core ModSecurity Rules
   Include conf/modsecurity2/*.conf
</IfModule>
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug '07 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us a few lines from your logs, so we see whats going on ?

To use the complete core mod_security rules makes mostly no sense. special the rules for application you not use. It's overhead and can give false positives.

Best is, pick only the genral rules and rules specific for the applications you are running. For example when you do not use SQL then it makes no sense to use SQL rules.

Steffen
flyingmonkey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug '07 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a minor issue, but the issue is that the mod_security2.log is empty and the errors are written to the error.log even though the following line is included:
Code:

SecAuditLog logs/mod_security2.log

Sorry, I am new to Apache.[/code]

Reply to topic   Topic: Help! Getting Started w/ Mod Security View previous topic :: View next topic