logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.6 available
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep '07 21:50    Post subject: Apache 2.2.6 available Reply with quote

Update 25 September 2007:
There is now a patched version for the issues with mod_perl and mod_fcgid at
www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=1957

Download removed.

You should be fine when you are not using e.g. mod_fcgid or mod_perl.
Some third party modules ( for example mod-fcgid and mod_perl) are not working with 2.2.6. A hasty backport by ASF is causing this and there is hardly tested in real live. I tried to address the issue before the release of 2.2.6 at the dev-list, but no luck, Windows has not that attention from ASF that it deserves.

My advise if you are using eg. mod_perl mod_fcgid and do not want use the patched version:

2.2.5 is working great and stable as rock and 2.2.6 has over 2.2.5 very minor changes affecting windows. None of these changes affects us. I advise to continue to use 2.2.4 or 2.2.5 from the Apache Lounge, then you are sure that you are safe with well tested and stable builds on windows.

Steffen

Last edited by Steffen on Sun 09 Sep '07 15:27; edited 2 times in total
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep '07 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I entered APR Bug 43329 for the behavior change in Apache 2.2.6 (the change was actually in APR 1.2.11) which makes mod_fcgid not work with 2.2.6.

-tom-
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep '07 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see the notes on the blog from Nick Kew(well known Apache developer) at http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2007/09/07/apache-226/ .

Nick writes on his blog:

A new Apache release 2.2.6 was announced today, together with maintenance updates of legacy versions 2.0 and 1.3.

This follows unusually closely after the (unreleased) version 2.2.5. It’s been a busy time, and there are some significant updates, most notably to DBD, and a fix to piped logging problems on some platforms. But the main reason for not releasing before was to update the bundled APR version to improve it on Mac. Since none of these updates affects me, I’m sticking with 2.2.5 for the time being.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep '07 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more experimenting with 2.2.6. The unfortunate story seems to be:
    The patch I proposed in Bug 43329 works for Visual C++ 6.0 builds only.
    It allows both Apache child processes and mod_fcgid processes to be created with the stdin/stderr/stdout handles they need.

When building with Visual C++ 2005 (VS8), the 2.2.6 default code (either the original 2.2.6 or the -r2 source) lets Apache create its child processes OK, but not mod_fcgid.
    With the patch, Apache child processes cannot open their stderr logs.
I have been unable (so far) to find any code change for 2.2.6 built with VS8 which can satisfy both Apache and mod_fcgid process creation.

Apparently the differences between the VC6 and VS8 runtime libraries make it very hard to find a change which satisfies both.

I agree with Steffen, the changes between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 are especially treacherous for Windows users.
The versions to use (for now) are 2.2.4 and the 2.2.5RC (which doesn't seem to have introduced any new problems).

-tom-
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep '07 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom (our moderator) is doing a great Job, he made a patch with some input from Bill (apache developer).

25 Sept '07 : Download now at www.apachelounge.com/download/

At the Apache Lounge we running it now, mod_fcgid and mod_perl is working fine now.

Steffen
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep '07 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to use this patched version for testing, but note that the discussion about how to fix this problem is still on-going in Bug 43329.

This will certainly not be the final patch.

I just wouldn't want anyone to be surprised when the patch is further revised.

-tom-
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep '07 19:04    Post subject: Apache 2.2.6 bugs Reply with quote

For Apache 2.2.6, an effort was made to correct the problems with rotatelogs on Windows.
Code in both APR and Apache changed the creation of processes at runtime.

A worthy effort - but a few things got broken in the changes between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6:
    1. Changes to APR version 1.2.11 (specifically in the APR source file proc.c)
    This broke mod_fcgid and mod_fastcgi on Windows, per Apache Bug 43329.
    The Apache developers are determined to keep the new behavior, so it looks like it will require both a fix to Apache/APR and changes to both these modules before things are running again in a future release.

2. Changes to the creation of the Windows Apache child process (specifically in the Apache source file mpm_winnt.c)
    This broke mod_perl when the perl-script handler is used. I sent a Bug Report to the mod_perl mailing list this morning.

3. Changes to the logging startup (specifically in the Apache source file log.c)
    which makes Apache 2.2.6 now require the changes made in #1 and #2 to start up.
    It is not possible to go back to APR 1.2.9 or back to the old mpm_winnt.c without also correcting log.c. (The dup2 call at line 411 fails when stderr_log is NULL)

In short - rotatelogs (and piped logging in general) has been improved for Apache 2.2.6 at the cost of disabling FastCGI programs and mod_perl.

There are still four processes created for rotatelogs (two for the Apache parent process and two for the Apache child process). This is because piped logs run a command-interpreter (CMD.EXE) in order to run the specified executable (rotatelogs.exe). This is apparently intentional. The log processes now all shut down correctly when Apache shuts down.

The 2.2.6 download that Steffen points to in the post above contains a temporary fix for #1 and #3, so it re-enables mod_fcgid (and mod_fastcgi).
It does not fix the mod_perl problem. It also un-fixes the piped logs behavior. The official changes in future Apache versions will certainly be different from this temporary fix.

It will take some time before this all gets sorted out
- so Apache 2.2.4 or Apache 2.2.5 (unreleased by ASF) are still the best versions to run on Windows until it does.

-tom-
tdonovan

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep '07 15:55    Post subject: Progress on 2.2.6 Reply with quote

This post by Bill Rowe in the Apache Users mailing list shows an estimated timetable for 2.2.6:

Quote:
There will likely be a 2.2.6 binary by the end of this week, provided you
don't actually need mod_perl or mod_fcgid. There's likely to be a brand
new binary after that (might be called 2.2.6 still, or not, with a new
apr library dependency) sometime in the next three weeks ...

It seems likely that code changes will be needed to mod_fcgid and mod_fastcgi, even when the "brand new binary" is released
- so it will probably be a month or so before 2.2.6 is usable for production in most Windows/Apache sites.

-tom-
tdonovan

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep '07 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apache 2.2.6 Windows binaries are now in http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/ and will be publicly available soon from the Apache site.

Bill Rowe says in this post to the Apache Users mailing list:
Quote:
We *know* mod_perl has an issue with these. We *know* mod_fcgid has an
issue with these. If you are using either, you will need to wait for
the next iteration 2.0.62/2.2.7 or stay with the previous version. If
you are waiting for your fix to use Win32AcceptEx and log the client IP
on 2000, your answer is here; if you are waiting on piped logs such as
rotate logs, your answer is here.

Since many (most?) people who use Apache from Apache Lounge also use mod_fcgid and/or mod_perl, it seems that 2.2.5 will remain the best Apache version to use until Apache 2.2.7 comes out.

It is expected that new versions of mod_fcgid and mod_perl will be needed for Apache 2.2.7, because the proposed changes will not be backward-compatible with Apache 2.2.5 and earlier.

-tom-
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep '07 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today ASF made also .msi binaries available. It is based on the same source as the Apache Lounge Binaries. If you are using for example mod_perl or mod_fcgid , you will need to wait for the next iteration 2.2.7 and/or stay with the previous version 2.2.4 or use 2.2.5 (not released by ASF). You can also use the patched version of 2.2.6 available at the Apachelounge.
Von

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct '07 7:12    Post subject: Apached 2.2.6 Help Reply with quote

Hi sorry can someone provide me with a guide on how to build apache in visual studio 2005.I am a beginner in apache amd i am require to build compile apache in visual studio 2005.So hope someone could help me out.Thanks Very Happy

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.6 available View previous topic :: View next topic