logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: HostnameLookups return strange ISP address
Author
simoon

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep '07 11:12    Post subject: HostnameLookups return strange ISP address Reply with quote

Apache 2.2.1 My server use

Hostnamelookups on
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from xxx.no-ip.com
Allow from yyy.no-ip.com
Allow from zzz.no-ip.com

to control who can visit the site. with setup like this, no one from [xxx yyy zzz].no-ip.com can get access.

The error.log record all access deny but using IP address only not the host name. Is this normal?

Then I change all Allow from to use IP address instead of host name. Everyone get access to the site.

I check the access.log, it did record all successful access using host name but the host name is strange. It is like

n11234123452342354.myispdomain.com
n32452345235435232.myispdomain.com

This is like the host name you get when you use nslookup. I think this is why Allow from host is not working. What should I do to let Apache2 correctly resolve the no-ip host name?
simoon

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep '07 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few machines that need access to the server is on dynamic IP address, so Allow from IP won't work.

I apply three domains from no-ip and hope xxx.no-ip.com, yyy-no-ip.com and zzz.no-ip.com can be used in Apache while used with HostnameLookups on and a .htaccess file allowing hostname.

But Apache only log some strange IP host name not the no-ip host name. Is there ways that let Apache log the correct no-ip name or Is there other ways to allow dynamic IP address authetication? (username, password authetication is not what we are looking for.)
simoon

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct '07 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well waited for two weeks and searched for 2 weeks still can't find an answer. Please help Question Crying or Very sad Question Crying or Very sad

Reply to topic   Topic: HostnameLookups return strange ISP address View previous topic :: View next topic