logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Backing up 60GB to USB back up
Author
Brian

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov '05 2:36    Post subject: Backing up 60GB to USB back up Reply with quote

I have a question that would seem to be easy to answer, but for some reason it has been proving to be more challenging that I had thought.

I have several types of data backups, over 60GB of data for my web clients, and I need to port stuff over to a brand new replacement external HD. One of the things that my services boast of is redundant backups.

I don't use a RAID config, and in a catastrophic hardware failure, it is possible for the most reliable RAID configs to fail.

Currently I have multiple data hard drives in my server. I also have an internal backup hard drive and an external back up hard drive.

Twice per week I backup to a portable hard drive that is stored "off site". The very nature of the type of hosting I provide is more emotionally envolving than typical business hosting, so I take backups exceedingly serious.

How can I best copy about 60 to 70GB of data to a portable HD twice per week?

This will be coming off of one of the other back up hard drives, as such it is not important to be worried about using too much the system or LAN resources.

Any thoughts on which programs you like for very LARGE operations?

Thanks.

--
Brian
Demoric

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov '05 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never guaged its performance, but I use a backup script that you could easily modify.

Backup.cmd
Code:
if exist %2\ (Echo %2) else (goto PathNotDefined)

set hour=%time:~0,2%
if "%hour:~0,1%"==" " set hour=0%time:~1,1%
set folder=%date:~10,4%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%(Time_%hour%_%time:~3,2%_%time:~6,2%)
mkdir %2\%folder%\
@Echo "Backup Started:" >>"%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"

date/t>>%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt
time/t>>%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt

@Echo On
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\logs" "%2\%folder%\logs" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\error" "%2\%folder%\error" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\htdocs" "%2\%folder%\htdocs" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\mysql\data" "%2\%folder%\mysql\data" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\pgsql\data" "%2\%folder%\pgsql\data" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\users" "%2\%folder%\users" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\conf" "%2\%folder%\conf" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\ftp" "%2\%folder%\ftp" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\ftproot" "%2\%folder%\ftproot" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\tools" "%2\%folder%\tools" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\cgi-bin" "%2\%folder%\cgi-bin" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\modules" "%2\%folder%\modules" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\opssl\cert" "%2\%folder%\opssl\cert" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\hMailServer" "%2\%folder%\hMailServer" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\FileZilla" "%2\%folder%\FileZilla" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\Blat" "%2\%folder%\Blat" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\Firebird" "%2\%folder%\FileZilla" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\smtpstoat" "%2\%folder%\smtpstoat" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\Snort" "%2\%folder%\Snort" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\Stunnel" "%2\%folder%\Stunnel" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y "%1\TightVNC" "%2\%folder%\TightVNC" >> "%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"

@Echo "Backup Completed:" >>"%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt"
date/t>>%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt
time/t>>%2\%folder%\BackupLog.txt
Goto End

:PathNotDefined
@Echo Off
Echo Command Syntax must be 'backup "Path To Apache2 Triad" "Path 2 Backup Folder"
Echo Note:There must not be a ending slash, and folders must already exist.
echo.
Echo For example:  backup "C:\apache2triad" "D:\ServerBackup"
pause
Goto End

:end
cls
exit

*note if you just want to copy everything then you could just run

xcopy/i/h/e/c/k/y C:\ X:\

Reply to topic   Topic: Backing up 60GB to USB back up View previous topic :: View next topic