logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.8 available
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan '08 18:32    Post subject: Apache 2.2.8 available Reply with quote

The Apache Lounge distribution of 2.2.8 is available.

For changes over the ASF download (msi), see the posts from Tom below.

Changelog

Steffen

Last edited by Steffen on Sun 17 Feb '08 12:54; edited 3 times in total
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan '08 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apache Lounge distribution of 2.2.8 contains two changes from the original Apache 2.2.8 source code:
    1. - The Windows mpm (source code file: server\mpm\winnt\mpm_winnt.c) is from the unreleased Apache version 2.2.7 (source code file here)
    with the patch applied from Apache bug 43534 comment #3 (patch file here).

2. - APR was built with the symbol APR_DSO_BUILD defined in the source code file: srclib\apr\include\apr.hw.
When an unchanged Apache 2.2.8 is run from the command line (vs. run as a Windows Service), Apache will not stop when the Apache window is closed.

Change 1. allows mod_perl to run correctly, as described in bug 43534, but it avoids the problems when Apache is run from the command-line.

Change 2. enables the use of the DBD database facilities in mod_dbd, mod_authn_dbd, etc. without needing to re-build Apache from source code.
Note that you still need to supply a DBD driver .dll for your database before you can use these modules. This change has no effect if mod_dbd is not used.

-tom-
turkerali

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan '08 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

tdonovan wrote:
When an unchanged Apache 2.2.8 is run from the command line (vs. run as a Windows Service), Apache will not stop when the Apache window is closed.

But comment #13 of bug 43534 states that this bug is fixed in 2.2.8. Seems like there is a conflict here, no?

Warm regards
AET
Mitron

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan '08 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
Change 1. allows mod_perl to run correctly, as described in bug 43534, but it avoids the problems when Apache is run from the command-line.

Change 2. enables the use of the DBD database facilities in mod_dbd, mod_authn_dbd, etc. without needing to re-build Apache from source code.
Note that you still need to supply a DBD driver .dll for your database before you can use these modules. This change has no effect if mod_dbd is not used.

-tom-

So let me get this straight, the ASF binary releases of Apache 2.2.8 are useless if your running mod_dbd and the fix for the command line issue didn't make release?

Just want to be sure before I decide which version to run. I don't think either of these issues will apply to any of my configurations, but it would be nice to know if I decide to use mod_dbd sometime in the future.

I don't have a problem running the lounge's releases if I have to, but I'd rather see a functional official release. Is ASF lacking in the number of Windows testers or something?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan '08 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkerali:
re: "Seems like there is a conflict here, no? "

Yes, bug 43534 states that this bug is closed - fixed. The original bug description said "mod_perl and FastCGI fails on Windows". Both mod_perl and FastCGI now work on Windows with the ASF fix. The ASF fix introduced a new problem with command-line. The notes in this post to the Apache-dev list may shed some light on their thinking, and why 2.2.8 shipped with the command-line problem.

Mitron:
re: "the ASF binary releases of Apache 2.2.8 are useless if your running mod_dbd"

Well, true - but maybe a bit overstated. DBD has not been available with any ASF Windows binary, including 2.2.8. The ASF Windows distribution requires re-compiling Apache from source code to enable DBD. The Apache Lounge distribution is compiled with DBD enabled starting with 2.2.8, although it does not include a DBD driver for any specific database. Is there any substantial interest in DBD? Do you think the Apache Lounge distribution should include a database driver? or perhaps an ODBC driver?

re: "Is ASF lacking in the number of Windows testers or something?"

There apparently are not a lot of Windows testers. To my knowledge, only Steffen and I have pointed out the problem with 2.2.8. The Apache developers have noted in the past that Windows is a weakly-supported platform.

-tom-
Mitron

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan '08 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
Mitron:
re: "the ASF binary releases of Apache 2.2.8 are useless if your running mod_dbd"

Well, true - but maybe a bit overstated. DBD has not been available with any ASF Windows binary, including 2.2.8. The ASF Windows distribution requires re-compiling Apache from source code to enable DBD. The Apache Lounge distribution is compiled with DBD enabled starting with 2.2.8, although it does not include a DBD driver for any specific database. Is there any substantial interest in DBD? Do you think the Apache Lounge distribution should include a database driver? or perhaps an ODBC driver?

I find it rather strange that they would advertise this as a feature and not include it in the binary release or document the need to recompile. I checked the docs on Apache, mod_dbd, release notes and Windows specific notes and recompiling doesn't seem to be mentioned or maybe I overlooked it?

I have an interest simply so I can protect the folders using a MySQL database instead of the .htpasswd files. Which of course would open up the need for a MySQL driver if it also needs to be compiled with Apache. If we simply need to download the correct driver, I would think just a link to the various drivers would suffice. BTW, if the driver does need to be compiled within Apache, then including the support would be rather useless.

tdonovan wrote:

re: "Is ASF lacking in the number of Windows testers or something?"

There apparently are not a lot of Windows testers. To my knowledge, only Steffen and I have pointed out the problem with 2.2.8. The Apache developers have noted in the past that Windows is a weakly-supported platform.

-tom-

That's too bad, but it does explain allot. If I didn't have so many projects in my lap I'd be willing to help. I just don't know how much help I would be not knowing much about C++. My programming experience is limited to BASIC, PHP, HTML, MySQL and Java. I do more with hardware than anything else.

I do appreciate you and Steffin keeping us up to date though. Without you guys I'd probably still be running Apache 2.0.x. Smile
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan '08 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mitron.

Yes, DBD is a great Apache feature, but it seems to lack for enthusiasm both within the Apache developer community and in the Windows-Apache user community.

I posted a (longish) note in the third-party Modules forum about an ODBC driver and two modules I've been working on lately.

I have had good success with this driver and these two modules, but until Steffen enabled DBD in the Apache Lounge 2.2.8 download - DBD was just not available to Windows/Apache users who do not compile Apache from source code themselves. (thanks for that, Steffen!).

The command-line problem will probably remain in the ASF Windows binaries until more users notice it and voice enough objection to get it fixed. The Apache developers are right, I guess - it is certainly a less severe problem than mod_perl not working.

-tom-

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2.8 available View previous topic :: View next topic