logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Should I turn Windows Intranet Settings On ?
Author
Mel_3

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct '08 2:25    Post subject: Should I turn Windows Intranet Settings On ? Reply with quote

On my XP Pro PC...

Each time I launch a web page on my apache localhost Windows tells me...

"Intranet Settings are now turned off by default."

If I turn them on will it confuse Windows and start trying to use IIS instead of Apache ?

Thanks for any help.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct '08 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that message before. Which program gives that out? You may take a screenshot?
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct '08 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are proxy settings configured in Internet Options?

I know there is a check box in there about turning them off for local addresses ie. localhost. I wonder if this is what is going on and security center flags. A screenshot would be good.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct '08 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

malware package? .. you know .. the works

I have a friend that blatantly refuses to be smart so I've recently (Tuesday I tihnk it was) seen similar but a malicious BHO would turn off firewall, which then would trigger alert from security center that was similar to what you've described.

I am in no way saying this is what is going on here, just suspicious behavior tends to have this cause. My friend fell into a targeted social engineered trap and did 3 consecutive no-nos in a row, was not a drive by, but they're out there as well.

In any event, if you remember when this behavior started exhibiting itself, if all else fails, use windows restore to go back before the this point. Might help.

Reply to topic   Topic: Should I turn Windows Intranet Settings On ? View previous topic :: View next topic