logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: mysqld.exe Crashes When Run As A Service
Author
Brian White

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr '09 2:59    Post subject: mysqld.exe Crashes When Run As A Service Reply with quote

After installing the most recent batch of security updates from Microsoft, MySQL 5.1.30 from Apache Lounge crashed whenever a connection either from a web server or MySQL Administrator or Query Browser was made to the database. I have been using it since shortly after Steffen compiled it for us without any problems. Only the service was affected. I didn't have a problem if I ran mysqld.exe from the command line (i.e. mysqld --standalone --console). So, I changed the service account to a real user with administrative permissions rather than Local System and the problem was resolved. I know that MS made several fixes regarding permission elevation; but I don't know exactly what in MySQL is incompatible with the latest updates. Hopefully this will stop someone else from spending as much time as I did trying to find and fix the problem.

Background: "Server" runs Windows XP SP3. KBs applied: KB961373, KB960803, KB959426, KB956572, KB952004, KB923561.
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr '09 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the service run correct? Often there is a wrong path in the registry or wrong name. What is in the windows event log about that?
Brian White

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr '09 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran perfectly for months. The system has been rebooted many times since last December. The only change was the addition of the Microsoft KBs I listed. I can replicate the problem by changing the service account back to Local System and restarting.

I get:

Faulting application mysqld.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module mysqld.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0020c6f8.

in the Application event log.

The basic "boilerplate" text (without a stack trace) is the only thing that shows up in the MySQL error log.

To cause or fix the error. I make no changes other than to Log On tab of services.

And I'm sorry if this was not clear in the original post; but the service starts properly. It crashes only when a connection is made. When I was investigating, I let it run for 30-minutes or so without incident; then it crashed the moment I hit connect in Query Browser. The service is definitely starting and only crashing when it is being used.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr '09 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm.... I can't seem to reproduce this problem on Windows XP SP3, even with the recent MS updates installed.
I checked that the six updates that you mentioned were installed - and they all were.
KB956572 sounds like it could potentially cause Local-System service problems, but MySQL 5.1.30 runs fine for me as a service using Local-System without any problems. Making connections and performing SELECTs works fine.

Is there anything about how you installed the service, or where your data is, or anything else you can think of that might be different on your system?
Have you changed anything in my.ini?

-tom-
Brian White

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr '09 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that is slightly unusual is that I use InnoDB as my default storage engine. The last change to my.ini was on 2/15 when I reduced the size of the query cache. "Uptime /S" shows the system was rebooted twice since then. Generally, the configuration of the system is fairly static. I only access it to perform Windows Updates or when there are new versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP/etc. All MySQL files are in the default location. The path to the executable shown on services is:

C:\MySQL\bin\mysqld --defaults-file=C:\MySQL\my.ini MySQL

I tried Uninstalling and reinstalling the service but the issues still persisted. The only thing that corrects it seems to be changing the service account. My suspicion is that there is a file or registry entry that the Local System account isn't allowed to read or write any more. I've read and re-read KB956572 but I'm stumped regarding the best way to investigate the issue. I can't use their diagnostic method shown since the patch is already installed.

Here's the minimal information that appears in the MySQL error log:

Code:
090418 11:48:23 - mysqld got exception 0xc0000005 ;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=41943040
read_buffer_size=65536
max_used_connections=0
max_threads=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_threads = 73591 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

thd: 0x0
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
0060C6F8    mysqld.exe!???
The manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

Reply to topic   Topic: mysqld.exe Crashes When Run As A Service View previous topic :: View next topic