logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: setup ssl problem
Author
roger

PostPosted: Tue 12 May '09 20:25    Post subject: setup ssl problem Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to setup SSL. I have installed Apache 2.2 with openSSL. when running any openssl command I get

Warning: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf

in this doc http://www.apachelounge.com/download/InstallingApacheonWindows.pdf it mentions to create a folder in C openssl/ssl and place the openssl.cnf file from conf folder. I did that.

please advise. thank you
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 12 May '09 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this post coming about a year or more ago and had suggested building openssl with the following switches at compile time.
--prefix=/Apache2 --openssldir=/Apache2/conf

You need to make the tree on the same drive Apache is installed .. if that is the C drive at C:\Apache2 then at a command prompt

cd\
md usr
md usr\local
md usr\local\ssl

copy \apache2\conf\openssl.cnf \usr\local\ssl
roger

PostPosted: Tue 12 May '09 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that did the trick.
sonavor

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct '09 19:11    Post subject: Problems with openssl with Apache 2.2 on windows XP Reply with quote

I am getting the error:
can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf

when I try to run
E:\ApacheSoftwareFoundation\Apache2.2\bin>openssl req -config openssl.cnf -new -out server.csr

I am trying to configure a certificate for SSL on a development server to test my http/https switching. I use Apache 2.2 as the web server and Tomcat 5.5 as the servlet engine.

From the instructions in all of the Apache - SSL postings here I thought I had all of the pieces. On my Apache installation I noticed that the openssl.cnf file had been renamed to just openssl and Windows thinks it is a file type "SpeedDial". I placed the ".cnf" extension back on it. The file is in my Apache2.2\conf directory.

In trying several variations of the
openssl req -config conf\openssl.cnf -new -out my-server.csr
command....
I keep getting the WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf

It makes sense that I am getting an error if the process is expecting a /usr/local/ssl directory....it isn't going to find a /usr directory on Windows. It would need to at least look for a \usr direcotry (which I did create).

What am I missing in this setup attempt?

Thanks
-sonavor
sonavor

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct '09 20:23    Post subject: Problems with openssl with Apache 2.2 on windows XP Reply with quote

Solved the problem

I found a hint to the solution at -
http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheSSL

There is an environment variable called OPENSSL_CONF that can be set.
When it is set you can use this command -
openssl req -new -out server.csr
instead of -
openssl req -config openssl.cnf -new -out server.csr

The openssl command will look for the config file path in the environment variable since it is left out of -

In my case I set the environment variable like this -
set OPENSSL_CONF=E:\ApacheSoftwareFoundation\Apache2.2\conf\openssl.cnf

A tricky part of getting it to work is with the openssl.cnf file itself. Windows shows it as a file type "SpeedDial" and hides the extension so the filename looks like it is just "openssl". I tried renaming it to "openssl.cnf". That looks correct in windows explorer but if you look at the filename in a dos window the actual filename became "openssl.cnf.cnf". So even though Windows shows the name without the .cnf extension it is there. That was confusing because I have my explorer set to not hide file extensions.

So with the environment variable pointing to the openssl.cnf file that I needed the command -

worked.

Reply to topic   Topic: setup ssl problem View previous topic :: View next topic