logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot register Apache2 service - win 2003
Author
saxopado

PostPosted: Thu 04 May '06 12:57    Post subject: Cannot register Apache2 service - win 2003 Reply with quote

Hi all, maybe some one can help. I searched plenty of forums, but found no answer. I've been trying to upgrade Apache2 in the 2.0 branch. My machine is a Win2003 SBS with alla the Sharepoint a Small Business stuff removed (i.e. IIS, so no web server on port 80, I cheched with netstat) (sorry also I'm not an expert in SBS and all its stuff).
Anyway: The installation as a service completes succesfully, but the service never gets registered, so Apache doesn't start. I've tried manually, with the "apache -k install" command, but nothing happens, neither does NET START. The only solution is to launch it manually, which I would tlike to avoid. The FIRST time I tried to upgrade,( 2.0.53 to.55) I had this problem, but i deinstalled Kerio Server Firewall, installed Apache (Regularly!), and then installed Agnitum Outpost Pro 3.5 firewall. Now, .55 to .58, I did the same thing, installed Apache with just the Windows Fw, but I get the "No service installed" error. I'ts driving me nuts. Any help? (yeah, I know: clean Win 2003 install....)

Thank
Sacha Crying or Very sad
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 04 May '06 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you logged in as Administrator when you try the install the service ?

Steffen
saxopado

PostPosted: Thu 04 May '06 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
Are you logged in as Administrator when you try the install the service ?

Steffen

Yes: everything solved. I found an obscure post on the comp.*.servers.ms-windows group refferring to moving the .conf file to another dir and then installing. I did it for me. Dunno why it's not necessary on my personal Win2k machine. Anyway, here's a tip for everyone: if you have trouble updating your Apache2 on a win 2003 machine, copy to a safe place your conf dir (and possibly your authorization dir, if you have one at the same level as the conf one), install as a service with the default conf setting, everything ok, and then copy back your own conf dir.

Odd, but it works.

Thanks again for the attention.

BTW, if I wanted to upgrade to the 2.2 branch, would I only have to install it to my current 2.0 branch directory, or are there additional steps? I see the Install dir has changed in 2.2.

Cheers
Sacha.

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot register Apache2 service - win 2003 View previous topic :: View next topic