logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache eating up 100% of cpu load with only 12req/s
Author
anwar5

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan '09 10:17    Post subject: Apache eating up 100% of cpu load with only 12req/s Reply with quote

Hi, our servers are running mediawiki and at certain times of the day it's taking 100% of the cpu load with only 12req/s according to mod_status.
Do you guys have any idea what's causing this?

Here's the server specs:
Windows 2003 Server SP1
Apache 2.0.58 (using apache2handler for php)
PHP 5.2.6

Xeon 5110 1.6hz CPU
4Gigs of ram

Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks in advance!
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan '09 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often some PHP extensions causes such a CPU load. Try to disable all not needed PHP extensions in your php.ini
You also can try to run PHP over fcgid and separate PHP from the httpd processes.
spiny

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan '09 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I am having a similar issue. It has plagued me since I started using Apache pretty much.

Dual 2.4 ghz/4gb/Win2k3 sp1. I had been using 5.2.6 php, Apache2.2.9, but recently upgraded to PHP version 5.2.8 and Apache 2.2.11. MySQL runs on another machine entirely.

Problem: httpd.exe grows at an astonishing rate. It grows to ~550 megs in about 6 minutes under small load, and in about 2 minutes under heavy load. At about the mid 500-600 meg memory usage, Apache restarts. At the time of restart, I still have over 1.5 gb of free memory.

Code:
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Server built: Dec 10 2008 00:10:06
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Parent: Created child process 2492
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Child 2492: Child process is running
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Child 2492: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Child 2492: Starting 1700 worker threads.
[Tue Jan 27 04:23:39 2009] [notice] Child 2492: Listening on port 80.
[Tue Jan 27 04:27:24 2009] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.

I have tried just about every combination of values for the following settings in httpd.conf:

Code:
KeepAlive On
KeepAliveTimeout 10
MaxKeepAliveRequests 5000

<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
ThreadLimit 1920
ThreadsPerChild 1800
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
</IfModule>

I was excited to see a new version of eAccelerator so I gave that a try and it crashes PHP within 15 minutes guaranteed with the following error:

Code:
zend_mm_heap corrupted
Error in my_thread_global_end(): 1382 threads didn't exit

...where threads is any value from 1 to 2000.

As a last resort, last night I attempted to replace apache2php2_2.dll with mod fcgi. I could not get it to work. The only 2 outcomes from configuring my Apache for fcgi were either:

1. permission on php files denied.
2. user promted to download php file.

So i reverted to the apache2php, disabled eAccelerator, and im back in the same boat of Apache bloating to 600 megs in under 5-10 minutes, restarting, and a completely pegged CPU.

I understand this is a lot of stuff, and that I really shouldnt be using windows, but ive done my due diligence here and would love some help here as im obviously over my head.

My wish list:

1. run Apache in some config so that it runs stable, doesnt restart or crash
2. keep my server CPUs from constantly being at 100% usage with only moderate traffic.
3. get eAccelerator and fcgi to work without crashing PHP and causing Apache to stop and not restart.

Thanks all!
spiny

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan '09 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I switched from php5apache2_2.dll to using mod_fcgid and my memory issues are resolved. it took over 3 hours for apache to climb to 200 mb today using this setup. On a side note, eAccelerator seems to behave better with fcgid over php5apache2_2.dll.
abhaychaware

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug '09 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same issue with CPU spiking onlinux .. what's fcgid by the way ? and how do i use it on linux ?
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug '09 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastcgi is running PHP not as module, but over the binary as cgi. The f(ast)cgid(daemon) keeps the process alive so apache does not have to start it new for every request. which makes it faster over regular cgi.

For a setup on debian / ubuntu see http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-apache2-with-mod_fcgid-and-php5-on-ubuntu-8.10

just a every short example without explaining. For more details see the docs => http://fastcgi.coremail.cn/configuration.htm

fcgid.conf
Code:

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
        AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
        IPCConnectTimeout 20
</IfModule>

Starter-Script
Code:

#!/bin/sh
PHPRC="/etc/php5/"
PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS=5000
export PHPRC
export PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS
exec /usr/bin/php5-cgi

vHost-Config
Code:

<VirtualHost <ip>:80>
        ServerName <ip>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/default/html/
        ErrorLog /var/www/default/logs/error.log
        LogLevel warn
        CustomLog /var/www/default/logs/access.log actra

SuexecUserGroup apache-default apache-default
        AddHandler fcgid-script .php
        AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi

<Directory /var/www/default/html/>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews +ExecCGI
                FCGIWrapper /var/www/default/php-fcgi/php-fcgi-starter .php
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache eating up 100% of cpu load with only 12req/s View previous topic :: View next topic