logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Where's my webpage?
Author
riceman605

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov '05 2:25    Post subject: Where's my webpage? Reply with quote

hi guys. i'm new to Apache, and was having a problem getting it up and running. what i found out was, it's running, and others can get to it from the internet, but i can't. i can get to it by putting 127.0.0.1 in my browser, but not by putting in the URL. i did a ping on the URL, and it came back good. did a tracerout, showed it only to my internet IP, 1 hop. seems it's not going out. is this normal? and is there any way i can get it to show up on my computer, and others on my home network, by typing in the URL? by the way, i'm using the www.no-ip.com website to get a subdomain name. any help would be greatly appreciated.
pnllan

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec '05 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the DDNS at no-ip.com without problems.

It sounds like a local DNS or IP settings issue to be honest. The reason I say this is because you can hit the localhost as demonstrated by your ability to hit 127.0.0.1 (a.k.a. - localhost). This shows that Apache is doing it's job (i.e. - it's serving web pages).

There are a couple of things you can look at in the CONF file. Examine the following Directives: ServerName, VirtualHost, and Listen (I doubt Listen is an issue, but check it out anyway). Check the manual, and make adjustments as necessary, regarding these directives. Other than that, it's not really an Apache issue. Again, this sounds related to your local IP settings and services.

Who ever is serving up your DNS could be an issue as well. I have a good ISP, with resonably good DNS servers. However, I rely on my own DNS server that utilizes cache forwarding as well as the ROOT Nameservers.

The 'one hop drop' you describe is normal, but again is determined via your DNS and routing. Routing usually is determined by the shortest path to destination.

Reply to topic   Topic: Where's my webpage? View previous topic :: View next topic