logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: configuring Apache for company Intranet
Author
dmikester1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov '10 0:12    Post subject: configuring Apache for company Intranet Reply with quote

Well, I got sick and fed up with stupid IIS because of all the limitations. Switching over to Apache. Smile Luckily, we have two web servers. So I'm testing on one while the other is currently serving our Intranet using IIS. I have it working so I can go to "intranet2" from the server itself and it pulls up the right site. However, I can't do that from my local computer at all. I think I have to configure something to do with a proxy from the research I've done so far, but I could be wrong. Can someone help me figure this one out? I hope that I can serve both sites with 2 different names, one from server1 with IIS, and one from server2 with Apache.
Thanks
Mike
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov '10 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of proxy do you use? Apache? Some other?
Maybe it is a DNS problem. Can you ping intranet2 ?
dmikester1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov '10 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I use any proxy right now. That's what I'm asking about. Should I use one for this situation and how do I set it up? I cannot ping intranet2 from my computer.
Thanks
Mike
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov '10 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok you can't ping the pc where intranet2 is installed. Do you know the IP of intranet2? If yes and you have admin persmissions on your local pc you can edit your C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and add there intranet2

e.g.
Code:

192.168.178.10   intranet2

Than you shall be able to ping and access apache on that server.
dmikester1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov '10 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can ping the IP of the webserver where I am hosting intranet2, I just can't ping the name "intranet2". I know there has to be another way than adding a block into my hosts file. Because right now we can type in "intranet" into the address bar and get our current intranet. And there is nothing in my hosts file to tell my computer where "intranet" is pointing to. Also I don't want to have to edit the hosts file of every user in our company so they will be able to access the intranet.
Thanks
mike
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov '10 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want to edit your hosts file you have to ask your admin for adding intranet2 to the DNS.
dmikester1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov '10 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, this reply. With your reply, I went to Google and found out how to do it myself. Thank you very much for this help.
Mike

<strikethrough>Right, I am the admin. Would you mind walking me through how to add that to the DNS or point to a good tutorial?</strikethrough>
Thanks
Mike

Reply to topic   Topic: configuring Apache for company Intranet View previous topic :: View next topic