logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: ASF people are a bit confused
Author
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar '11 20:09    Post subject: ASF people are a bit confused Reply with quote

Since PHP 5.3.6 is only as VC9 build. The ASF people are a bit confused. If you haven't read it yet

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201103.mbox/browser

What do you think?
Brian White

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar '11 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must not have heard that Microsoft has made many improvements in running PHP on IIS. Officially dropping Windows support will just drive people toward IIS/PHP. It comes with the OS, you don't have to download and/or build it, and it can automatically download and install PHP for you. And suggesting that everyone just build their own is ignoring reality. Visual Studio 2008 (and VS 2010) is a huge/complex application that is expensive and not provided with the operating system. The majority of Windows users want an MSI or a zip. They are not in the mindset of building from source. Cgywin is fine for a utility but not for a 24x7 windows service where you want maximum performance. I run the ApacheLounge build on older hardware and can say from experience/testing that it is much faster than the official build. VC6 is from the 90s. VC9 and VC10 produce faster and more stable executables which is what you would expect using a compiler that is a decade newer.

More to the point, the people behind ASF haven't been as welcoming to members of their user community that use Windows as other platforms. Their documentation is very Linux centric; many of the portions that are Windows specific are out of date. For example, they describe how to get a backtrace using the obsolete Dr. Watson tool. (In contrast, the PHP Group provides detailed instructions using the debugger included with Visual C as well as the standalone and freely available Debug Diagnostic Tools from Microsoft.) Given the extent that they have neglected Windows users of their software, I'm not sure how much weight a "recommendation" from them caries. I would like to see more cooperation; but it always seems that any overtures like Mr. Bowen's are shouted down. (i.e. the last response by Mr. Rowe Jr.)

Reply to topic   Topic: ASF people are a bit confused View previous topic :: View next topic