logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Persistent Error 500 Caused by Server Side Caching??
Author
consultant

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar '11 23:38    Post subject: Persistent Error 500 Caused by Server Side Caching?? Reply with quote

I've run into an issue where once in a while a CGI script (PERL) starts throwing an Internal Server Error 500.

I verified the script ownership user, group and permissions are correct (domain user, psacln, 755)

I couldn't see any problem with the script so I went in and edited the offending script so that all that is in it is a print statement:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\nHELLO<BR>";

No matter what we name the script it still generates an error 500 while other scripts in the directory are running fine.

We tried running the script for a different browser thinking maybe the browser was caching the page but it also generated the error.

Then we simply stopped and started Apache and it worked fine with NO changes to the script. The script WAS re-saved though as in the past, I've found sometimes my CuteFTP (for whatever reason) saves a script file and uses BINARY when it should use ASCII (or vice versa) and I have to go into the shell and PICO edit the script and just re-save it with no changes. But I did this also in this case before restarting Apache and it didn't fix the error.

This makes it appear as if Apache is caching script execution on the server side but I fail to see how/why it would do that when we are modifying the script!

Again we are using PERL CGI (not mod_PERL) on Plesk 10.1.1 based server. Anyone run into this or have an ideas what would cause it to happen?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar '11 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you login via ssh and use ls -lsa do you see differences from the working scripts and the one that is not working?

Reply to topic   Topic: Persistent Error 500 Caused by Server Side Caching?? View previous topic :: View next topic