logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Timeouts
Author
eblah

PostPosted: Thu 25 May '06 15:47    Post subject: Timeouts Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is with my server or Apache, but I've had this problem before (and it got better).

I'm running Apache 2.2.2 with PHP 5.1.4 and MySQL 5.1.9-beta on Windows 2000 Server. The server is a 700MHz P3 with 512MB ram (with about 200 MB's always available) ... full stats are here: http://fpserver.no-ip.com/?v=syscheck

Anyway, Apache seems to timeout a lot for my users and myself when not at home. If I'm on my home computer (running directly to the host, and not through the net) it always seems to work fine. Is there any part of the config that could cause this? I did not use the config version in the Apache Lounge build as I've been upgrading since 2.0.4x from Apache.org. If there's nothing I can do or it's just the server, then that's okay. I do limit the bandwidth (50KB/sec max I believe), but I don't think that's causing it.

Is there just anything I can do to speed things up?

Thanks!
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 25 May '06 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

#timeout in seconds
Timeout 300

#http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/core.html#keepalive
KeepAlive On

To limit the bandwidth slows Apache down! I think, if you have enough bandwith give Apache at least 200 kB/s to run well. If possible don't limit it. You can also use deflate to reduse bandwith from the server to the client and speed it up (mod_deflate).
eblah

PostPosted: Sun 28 May '06 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were already in there.

I decided to use the packaged config (as I did use a seperate config for virtual hosts). I hope this solves it. I added the Timeout and KeepAlive to the new config.

I also disabled the bandwidth limit (another service was used to limit it via the port).
emjay

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun '06 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,
by the way respect, that your windows server was up for 200 days Smile

do you have something like eaccellerator installed? it speeds up php very well, on my server its nearly 10times faster...
If you use joomla or mambo cms better use apc(advanced php cache)

Is your PC entering standby mode or something like switching off the hds automatically???

other way is to install apache with its cache dir on a ram disk... give it a try. this made my 292mhz linux machine with oooold harddisk go really fast Smile

Reply to topic   Topic: Timeouts View previous topic :: View next topic