logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Please help: The .htaccess is causing a 403 error
Author
mOrloff

PostPosted: Thu 05 May '11 0:27    Post subject: Please help: The .htaccess is causing a 403 error Reply with quote

I've been struggling with this 403 error for a full week now, and I've finally found the root of my problem (I am sooo excited!!).
I'm running WAMP on Win XP, and the problem is my .htaccess file.
What a relief!

I'm totally green on Apache(and I'm trying to learn zend FW). I'm trying to follow a set of tutorials, but when I create a project, I can't see it from my browser.
I get a 403 error: Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server .

When I arbitrarily rename the .htaccess file, I can suddenly browse into the public directory (even if with: "Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ...").

Here are the contents of that default .htaccess file:
Code:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]

Can anyone see what would be causing the 403 error?
I'd really appreciate some help on this Smile

Thanks-a-bunch,
~ Mo

For posterity sake (adding more content for future searches), here's the big picture:
I tried a million things. From creating the projects multiple ways (from the command line and from within netBeans) in many different locations on several different drives (I learned that wamp doesn't like it when a VH dir is on a mapped network drive), to playing with the httpd-vhosts.conf file, to wrestling with windows permissions(which, by the way, has some black-magic-voodoo going on with it's psuedo-readOnly attribute), to ... so many other things I can't remember them all right now .

Finally, I tried to just create an alias to the parent directory of one of my many ZF test projects, and I could see all sub-dir's except for public. So, through a process of elimination, I came to pin down the culprit. Oh, what a relief !!
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 05 May '11 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems there is an issue with your index.php. I can use your .htaccess file without any limitations.

What is in your error log about this?
mOrloff

PostPosted: Thu 05 May '11 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall making any modifications since submitting this post, but I must have because, now, instead of getting a 403 error, I'm getting "Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. ...".

As you suggested, I tried a different index page. Its entire contents consist of:
Code:
<?php  echo 'testing, testing, 1, 2, 3.'; ?>

If I remove the .htaccess file, I go straight to that test page.
Replacing the .htaccess file sends me right back to that server error again.

Logs:
I first looked at my access log, which says
Quote:
127.0.0.1 - - [05/May/2011:08:10:38 -0700] "GET /index.php HTTP/1.1" 500 535

Hmmm ... ok Neutral That doesn't mean much to me ~:o)
(I mean, I know what the 500 code means (thanks to google), but as for what to do with it, or what that 535 means, I'm at a loss Smile)

Then I looked at my apache log which says
Quote:
[Thu May 05 08:10:38 2011] [alert] [client 127.0.0.1] C:/temp/HelloWorld/public/.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Ahah! Now we're getting somewhere!
(btw, the apache log wasn't showing anything when I was getting the 403 code.)

Do you spot what's wrong with that ?
Thanks-a-bunch,
~ Mo
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 05 May '11 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is mod_rewrite loaded?
If FileInfo one of the Allowed overrides for the directory?
mOrloff

PostPosted: Fri 06 May '11 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... mod-rewrite ????
Is that an Apache extension, or ???? ?
If so, where do I find whether it's loaded?
Sorry for my naivety, but I am pretty new to all this Smile

In case it helps, I'd just like to remind that I'm running wamp on winXP.
Quote:

If FileInfo one of the Allowed overrides for the directory?

Can you ask this a different way? I don't want to make any assumptions, and don't understand the question Embarassed

Thank you so much.
~ Mo
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 06 May '11 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mod_rewrite is an Apache module/extension. In httpd.conf file it will be in the LoadModule section of that file. Make sure is is not commented out (usually the default).

I understand, I just typo'd. If = Is Mr. Green

AllowOverrides. To use RewriteRule, RewriteEngine, etc. in a .htaccess file it must be allowed to be in there. It is easy to look at the docs and see what is needed for any directive, the context of where it can be placed and so on.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriteengine

Description: Enables or disables runtime rewriting engine
Syntax: RewriteEngine on|off
Default: RewriteEngine off
Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess tells you where it is allowed.
Override: FileInfo If an Override is needed to use it in .htaccess files and what it is.
Module: mod_rewrite If a module must be loaded to use this Directive.

Some other reading is still needed IMO. This explains the Overrides (overriding the configuration of a location with .htaccess).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#allowoverride
mOrloff

PostPosted: Fri 06 May '11 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-a-bunch.
I'll run with that new info, and post my results.
~ Mo
mOrloff

PostPosted: Mon 09 May '11 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, um, btw glsmith, you're awesome Smile
I'm just checking in to let you know that mod_rewrite was the ticket.
I did in fact get me past that hurdle.
I have successfully gained access to the next level of errors Rolling Eyes Smile
(they're just php errors, so I think I can work through those ones myself .) Wink

Again, thanks for your help, and thanks for the links.
~ Mo

Reply to topic   Topic: Please help: The .htaccess is causing a 403 error View previous topic :: View next topic