logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Alias problems, pls help
Author
Davidpcs

PostPosted: Sat 07 May '11 22:09    Post subject: Alias problems, pls help Reply with quote

I have tried the following code in my apache config file

Alias /videos G:/videos

<Directory G:/videos>
Options All
Order Allow, Deny
Allow from All
Deny from none
</Directory>

after which it does not allow me to restart the service. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 08 May '11 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the error log or the event log in Windows says?

And please stay with one thread, do not create 3 for same problem. I've removed the other two since they are the same issue.
Davidpcs

PostPosted: Sun 08 May '11 2:34    Post subject: Is it possible? Serve files outside the Reply with quote

Well I have overcome the original problem I can now start my server and in my later posts that you erased I explained in detail what I am trying to do and wanted to know if it is even possible. That is why I posted subsequent posts. different problems, I now have a different problem..
Can you tell me if it is even possible for me to serve files that are not contained within my Documentroot folder? I have multiple harddrives and would like to serve files from my G:\videos, although my documentroot and my website is on f:\website..... If you bothered to read my subsequent posts I am receiving a Forbidden error 403 but I am able to start the server so this is really a different problem. I am about to give up, the instructions for Apache are not helpful and when I spend the time to explain my problem in detail, It says no question is too simple here, it gets erased...
I just want to know how to include my files from another drive and make them available through my website.. Or if Apache is not capable of doing this I will have to search for a server that will allow me to do so.
My original problem of not being able to start the server I have already resolved so I don't see how this is the same problem..
My apologies if I have violated your rules of posting here, it was not my intention, I really do have a different problem now..
Thanks for your help and suggestions..
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 08 May '11 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .. Alias IS the way to do it. And I saw your config for it and I did not see anything wrong with it. But if you do get a 403, then there will be something in the error log about it. It may something real simple to spot, might not.

Yes, since they all revolve around using Alias to I pushed it to this one, since after adding that the server would not start. You were adding an alias to g:\videos and for whatever reason that caused Apache to no longer start

What's again, the error log saying for this 403?
Davidpcs

PostPosted: Sun 08 May '11 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
Well .. Alias IS the way to do it. And I saw your config for it and I did not see anything wrong with it. But if you do get a 403, then there will be something in the error log about it. It may something real simple to spot, might not.

Yes, since they all revolve around using Alias to I pushed it to this one, since after adding that the server would not start. You were adding an alias to g:\videos and for whatever reason that caused Apache to no longer start

What's again, the error log saying for this 403?

Well now it works, it turned out to be a single space, The 403 error came during my experimentation to fix the problem but is now moot as it is working...

Options Allow, Deny I put a space after the comma before the word Deny. It has to be without extra spaces, oops...
The error logs to which you referred me mentioned "Directory index forbidden by Options directive: so I rechecked my syntax and realized that I had put a space there. Now it works.. Thanks for mentioning the error logs, that led me to the problem. Sometimes the simplest thing can give us the biggest headaches, Now I feel a little stupid, but glad to have it working..
Thanks again! Your comments really did help.. Smile

David
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 08 May '11 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it going!

Reply to topic   Topic: Alias problems, pls help View previous topic :: View next topic