logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: mod_deflate and MSVCR90.dll errors
Author
pbausch

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb '12 18:31    Post subject: mod_deflate and MSVCR90.dll errors Reply with quote

I'm running the 64-bit version of Apache 2.2.21 on Windows Server Standard SP2 and I have a strange bug. When I have gzip compression on, Apache will frequently restart, with this error:

Quote:
Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.21.0, time stamp 0x4e7e1a86, faulting module MSVCR90.dll, version 9.0.30729.6161...

If I disable mod_deflate, the restart/errors go away. I tried reinstalling/repairing the required Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, but that didn't help.

I also googled around but I haven't seen anything specific to Apache or mod_deflate. Has anyone run into something like this before? Any ideas about how I can find out more about this problem? Are there any viable alternatives to mod_deflate?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb '12 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you download apache from this site? Anything in the windows event log?
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb '12 12:47    Post subject: Re: mod_deflate and MSVCR90.dll errors Reply with quote

pbausch wrote:
Quote:
Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.21.0, time stamp 0x4e7e1a86, faulting module MSVCR90.dll, version 9.0.30729.6161...

That looks like the event log to me Confused

MSVCR90.dll 9.0.30729.6161, I'm thinking that is SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538243

IIRC, for some odd reason SP1 in not fully compatible with SP-none builds, so both should be loaded?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb '12 13:00    Post subject: Re: mod_deflate and MSVCR90.dll errors Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:

IIRC, for some odd reason SP1 in not fully compatible with SP-none builds, so both should be loaded?

On some PCs I had to install both. Yepp they are not full compatible.
pbausch

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb '12 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was beginning to think it was a hardware problem, so I moved to a new machine running Windows 2008 R2 SP1. But I'm getting the same thing! Do I need to install a different version of the VC++ Redistributable? I'm not sure what you mean by running both.

Right now I'm using the Apache Haus version 2.2.22. But I had the same problem with the version I downloaded here as well.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb '12 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redistributable Package with SP 1 and the one without

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

in this case the x86 one
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb '12 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 2.2.21 was an x64, I am assuming the 2.2.22 is an x64 build as well. It's been so long since zlib 1.2.5 was built, I cannot remember how it was done, there is room for error on x64.

The day after Apache 2.2.22 was released, zlib released their 1.2.6. I doubt the version of zlib is the problem, because no one else has run into this problem. But none the less, here are replacement mod_deflate and zlib DLL files.

Here are mod_deflate files from 2.2.22 rebuilt w/ zlib 1.2.6. Doubt it will fix anything but worth a try. Let me know.

Edit: removed stale old link that someone followed yesterday.

Last edited by glsmith on Tue 09 Jun '15 10:28; edited 1 time in total
pbausch

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb '12 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I'm getting a 403 on that link.

I've been doing some more experimenting and I think I found the issue. I was starting mod_deflate in httpd.conf like this:

Code:

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
    \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|ico)$ no-gzip dont-vary
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

I'm pretty sure that's straight out of the Apache docs. However, if I start mod_deflate like this:

Code:
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

It seems to be working ok. I've been running a few hours now like this without a restart. So maybe I'm serving something that Apache can't compress? I don't know, but I appreciate the thoughts and help.
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb '12 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd that in the error log I'm seeing this
[Sun Feb 12 13:29:44.123125 2012] [authz_core:error] [pid 2944:tid 888] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:33437] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /xxx/xxx/xxx/deflate/index.php

The link does not point to index.php, there is no index.php, I do not do php, it's a simple Indexed directory. Looks like Safari is trying to be smart and is failing horribly.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb '12 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
odd that in the error log I'm seeing this
[Sun Feb 12 13:29:44.123125 2012] [authz_core:error] [pid 2944:tid 888] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx:33437] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /xxx/xxx/xxx/deflate/index.php

The link does not point to index.php, there is no index.php, I do not do php, it's a simple Indexed directory. Looks like Safari is trying to be smart and is failing horribly.

I get the same 403 error. Config issue?
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb '12 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, it works just fine for me on Firefox, IE8 and Lunascape with the Gecko, Trident and WebKit engines.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb '12 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried from work and from home. Always 403.
brazitech

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb '12 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
I found this post which should answer some of your questions.
I have found that in the newer mods in Apache some directives have changed to a namespace type of directive.
The following post has the start up and directives in this style. This follows suite with in you example that worked.
here is the post http://www.freebsdmadeeasy.com/tutorials/web-server/apache-mod-deflate.php

Hope this is helpful

RS BraziTech Cool op
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb '12 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this 403 is a bug, how about you?

The mentioned folder is a indexed folder, so no index.(html|php|etc) files are there, just HEADER & README.

deflate/
HEADER.html
mod_deflate-2.2.22-zlib-1.2.6-x64.zip
mod_deflate-2.2.22-zlib-1.2.6-x86.zip
README.html

Because in other areas of the site I do have files that I want only available to me, I have a <Files> container in place at the Documentroot;

<Files ~ "\.(dll|dat|exe|php)$">
Require ip 10.0.0
</Files>

DirectoryIndex server wide is:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php index.htm

What seems to be happening is that as the server runs through the DirectoryIndex list, it hits index.php and looks for it, php is denied by the files container, so the server throws the 403 even though there is no index.php file present.

2.2.22 acts this way as well, it surprised me tho. RTFM I cannot find anything that says mix these and you will get a 403. Using FilesMatch give a 500.
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb '12 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have to add somewhere an IPv6 address, for example for 2.2 Allow from ::1 when 127.0.0.1.

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: mod_deflate and MSVCR90.dll errors View previous topic :: View next topic