logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache spams processes
Author
minecrawlerx

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul '12 23:50    Post subject: Apache spams processes Reply with quote

Good evening.

I have a strange problem. I am using Linux Debian Squeeze and Apache (latest update). It all worked fine. But tonight, it started to spam processes. Up to 26. But there is _no_ network traffic. The VServer is not that strong, so it's CPU load goes directly to 100%. And websites load really slow.
Before, I never had problems, even when there were lots of people on my sites simultaneously. I did not change anything about the server config or my websites.
I am using nload and htop to live-monitor the processes, CPU load and network traffic.
Apache is configured to use 400MB Ram as upper limit (with 512MB Ram garantueed and 512MB Ram shared). I reduced many things so that Apache would work no matter what on this small server.

In short:
- why is the CPU load, that high?
- do I have to upgrade my server (I hope not)?
- could there be a missconfigure that shows itself?

If I have to supply more info, just tell me what you need. Thank you for your help!
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul '12 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which MPM do you use? It would help, if you could post the mpm config.
Did you enable the server-status page to monitor the requests?
minecrawlerx

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul '12 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using prefork.
The config is here:

Code:
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10
    MaxClients          150
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

No, I did not enable the server-status page. But I will do so now.

EDIT: thanks for your hint! I think I found the error. Someone made a board which is spammed to death. I will disable it and see, if there will still be problems.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache spams processes View previous topic :: View next topic