logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Another 403 error upon fresh install.
Author
Gottso

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun '06 13:58    Post subject: Another 403 error upon fresh install. Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm new to apache/PHP/this forum.

I have installed Apache 2.2.2 , MySQL 4.1.20 and PHP 5.1.4 on my computer. All seemed to have installed correctly, until I went to test my PHP.

Upon creating a phpinfo file in my htdocs folder and trying to load it in my browser, i get a 403 error.

My OS is Win XP.

My httpd.conf has all the default permissions within.

I tried to tinker a little with the httpd.conf permissions to no avail.

The only option I see for permissions under XP is read - only when i Rclick and go to properties of a file/folder. Read only is checked off and sort of greyed out....and when i uncheck it, it doesnt give me an error, but doesnt seem to "take" as when i Rclick on it again, the check is back.

I am logged in as computer administrator so I do not know why this change is not taking place.

Any info or ideas you may have, I appreciate. Any further info you need from me, just post away.

Thanks.

G
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun '06 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any message in the error log?

I think you changed a path in the httpd.conf for the docroot and forgert secondly to change the second path for it? Am I right?

e.g.
Code:

DocumentRoot "/server2/www"

#when ever you change the docroot change this path too
<Directory "/server2/www">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun '06 6:27    Post subject: Re: Another 403 error upon fresh install. Reply with quote

Gottso wrote:
The only option I see for permissions under XP is read - only when i Rclick and go to properties of a file/folder. Read only is checked off and sort of greyed out....and when i uncheck it, it doesnt give me an error, but doesnt seem to "take" as when i Rclick on it again, the check is back.

I am logged in as computer administrator so I do not know why this change is not taking place.

As for folders, that box it won't change, it's something XP uses on folders to do something different that doesn't have the same meaning as normal file/folder permissions. Are you changing the file permissions?

If you're on XP Pro instead of Home, you have more fine-grained control over permissions. In addition, you must have simple file-sharing turned off, so the "Security" tab will show up in the "Properties" dialog of files and folders...this is where you change permissions.
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul '06 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disable "Simple File Sharing" & Set Folder Permissions

You must be logged in as an Administrator to perform these tasks!

In case you don't know, "Simple File Sharing" allows you to simply drag folders you want to share into the "Shared Folders" directory, but you don't have the traditional control over permissions.

To disable "Simple File Sharing":
  1. Click the "Start" button on the Taskbar
  2. Click "Control Panel" in the Start Menu
  3. Switch to "Classic View", if you are currently in Category View
  4. Click the "Folder Options" icon
  5. Click the "View" tab
  6. In the "Advanced Settings" box, scroll all the way down and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

To enable Read/Change Permissions:
  1. Right-click the "My Computer Icon"
  2. Click "Explore"
  3. Browse to the drive and folder you want to share
  4. Right-click the folder you want to share
  5. Click "Properties"
  6. Click the "Sharing" tab
  7. Mark the "Share This Folder" radio button
  8. In the "Share name:" box, type a name (usually same as the folder name, or maybe a short keyword like "Websites"
  9. (Optional) In the "Comment:" box, if you want, type a short description
  10. Near "User Limit", unless you know what you're doing, mark the "Maximum allowed" radio button to let the OS/server choose the number of connections to allow
  11. Click the "Permissions" button
  12. If there are Users/Groups whom you don't want to access the share, then select each one and click the "Remove" button one-at-a-time (Don't remove the Administrators group!)
  13. To start adding Users/Groups to the list, click the "Add" button
  14. Click the "Advanced" button in the new dialog
  15. Click the "Find Now" button to search for all Users and Groups
  16. In the bottom box, if the right column is too narrow, click and drag the faded grey border between the column headers
  17. Holding down the <Ctrl> key on your keyboard, click on each User or Group you want to add. By default, Apache logs on with the System account, so you should select that one.
  18. Click the "Ok" button in the current dialog
  19. Click the "Ok" button
  20. To start setting permissions for each User/Group, click a User or Group in the top box
  21. For the Administrators group, check the "Full Control" box in the bottom box and click the "Apply" button
  22. For the System account, or whatever user account Apache uses, check the "Change" and "Read" boxes and click the "Apply" button
  23. Continue like this for each desired User or Group
  24. Click the "Ok" button when you have set permissions for everyone you want
  25. Click the "Ok" button in the Properties dialog

Reply to topic   Topic: Another 403 error upon fresh install. View previous topic :: View next topic