logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache, FMS 4.5, Win2K8, not allowing external connections
Author
Carlos27

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug '12 16:00    Post subject: Apache, FMS 4.5, Win2K8, not allowing external connections Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I've searched the forums and scoured the net looking for a solution for this. We have two Flash Media Servers (FMS), one running on Windows 2k3 (FMS 4.0), the other on Windows 2008 (FMS 4.5). For some reason, the Apache server running on Windows 2008 is not accepting any external connections. All of the pages and streams work from inside the network, so Apache and FMS streaming are working, but nothing works externally.

I've looked at the FMS Apache http.conf, fms.ini, and master.00 files for both servers and I have tried to change settings to make it work, but nothing that I've tried has worked so far. Our network admin has also made sure that all of the ports that Apache and FMS require are open for this server.

Adobe says that FMS should be listening on port 80. Changing that hasn't worked.
I've tried making the ServerName 63.116.232.5, no dice.

This is a page that I've tried to access for testing purposes:
http://63.116.232.5/index.html Pinging 63.116.232.5 times out.

http://63.116.232.6/index.html (the old server) works fine.

This is one of the streaming pages that I've made for testing purposes (page, streams work internally).
www.librarymedia.net/Pages/THS-Graduation2012.html

Trying to play the video results in the following error:
Server not found: rtmpt://63.116.232.5:80/vod/

I don't know why port 80 is specified in the link (it wasn't specified in the page itself). All of the individual streams in the page work internally.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? How do I find out exactly why external connections are not working? I've looked at all of the logs but I haven't found anything.
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug '12 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess), that if ports are forwarded properly at the router, that it's at the firewall on W2k8, and would compare all the rules on the old 2k3 server with what you have on the 2k8. You might find it's not allowing anything in from outside even though the private network space is working fine.
Carlos27

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug '12 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
I'm guessing (and this is just a guess), that if ports are forwarded properly at the router,

Our network admin swears that they are. He even showed me the settings for the two servers (they are identical).

glsmith wrote:
that it's at the firewall on W2k8, and would compare all the rules on the old 2k3 server with what you have on the 2k8.

Does it matter that the firewall is turned off on the W2K8 server? I read somewhere that even though the firewall is turned off it might still block whatever it was set to block before it was turned off, therefore, you have to unblock the services you need first and then turn it off. I'll take a closer look at the firewall.

The main difference between the two FMS servers is their respective OS versions, so I'm inclined to think that Win2K is somehow blocking external connections. Unless I am missing something in the http.conf and fms.ini files.

Is there a log or command that would let me know why or where external connections are being blocked? I've tried nmap to scan the server, but no clues. I wish this was a Linux server (more comfortable with Unix-like OSes).

Thanks for the reply.
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug '12 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on some Win OSs (especially XP) if you turn off the firewall it freeze where it sits at that time. So if 80 wasn't open when you turned it off, nothing would get through 80 after turning it off. Does 2k8 do this? I do not know.

I do not have 2k8 on anything any longer, I just remember it wasn't easy getting the firewall set to allow something through from outside. There were 2 or more different rules for port 80, and I had to allow all of them to get it listening to the outside world, let alone the rtmpt protocol.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache, FMS 4.5, Win2K8, not allowing external connections View previous topic :: View next topic