logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Information on the Builds from Apache Lounge ? Page 1, 2  Next
Author
jpicazio

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 19:57    Post subject: Information on the Builds from Apache Lounge ? Reply with quote

How often are each build/patches released?

Are there any legal issues to be taken into consideration with using binaries from Apache lounge?

Have there been an meaningful quality issues?
How long has apache lounge been in existence?

What relation does apache lounge have with Apache.org?

Thank you for you time.

Sincerely,

Jeff
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache Lounge is making a build available when the source is voted as GA (General Availability) at the ASF (Apache Software Foundation). Till now approximately every half year. Patches are in principal not applied by us till the next GA, excluded ones official supplied by the ASF and it happens sometimes that Apache Lounge is applying an coming ASF or members patch, then it is made available in a separate build with a P in the download file name and explained in a forum post.

For newer external dependencies, like zlib, openssl etc. we are updating the download after testing.

Not aware/had legal issues with the builds. For the licenses and notices see the .txt files in the Apache folder of the download zip.

It is what you define as quality. I and a number of Apache Lounge moderators/users are testing it before a build goes GA, and the ASF is listening to Apache Lounge.

Since Jan 2003 there are Apache Lounge builds.

The moderators here and I participate in the development/testing at ASF, also with some authors of third party modules like mod_security. Two moderators and members here are official ASF committers.

Steffen

ps.
Changed the subject of your post to a little more meaningful.
jpicazio

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 21:47    Post subject: one further question? Reply with quote

Can an individual request a fix from Apache Lounge or does Apache Lounge simple apply fixes after they are released by ASF? If I understand what you had said correctly an individual would need to take a new version of APache to get fixes (you do not patch existing versions) and a person could be waiting 6 months for a fix. Am I reading what you said correctly?

Jeff
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should leave this for Steffen to answer ... but;

I'll start with the second question first. For the most part yes, but security related fixes are dealt with by the ASF as quickly as possible. The last example is the range header attack 0-day that was just dropped on the world one day. Within days there were workarounds available and a fixed new release was out in 2 weeks (2.2.20). That had a regression in it which got fixed with another new release in another 2 weeks (2.2.21). Other non-security bug fixes can take some time to get done, depends on the severity. Enhancements are rarely ever added to a existing major.minor version.

For the first question. You can ask, whether Steffen fulfills your request is up to him. He has stated above that sometimes he'll release another package that has been patched. That usually means patching the current existing version. There are others here that build and might be willing to supply you with your request. It never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is you get a "no" for an answer.

What fix are you looking for?
jpicazio

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep '12 16:09    Post subject: Build Question? Reply with quote

Could you help me find out in general how many people/organizations are using 2.4 version of Apache web server from this site? Do you have any data like that?

I suppose our concern is we do not want to be one of the first ones to try out the newest version.

Thanks,

Jeff
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep '12 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is thrilling to see how many are using the AL builds, including Professional/Commercial use. When I examine the downloads this year then I guess that we have over 100.000 installations/sites. Maybe even lot more, it is hard to guess because there are more sites that delivering our builds. Also our builds are used by others for their own build/download, like XAMPP from Apachefriends

Guess for 2.4 it is at least 50.000, maybe a lot more, we never know.

Btw, 2.4 is not that new anymore, the first GA was in Januari 2012, this after years testing beta etc.

Steffen
jpicazio

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep '12 21:50    Post subject: Diffs Reply with quote

Does Apache Lounge provide "Diffs" on the files that have been modified/changed from apache?

Thanks,

Jeff
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep '12 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is noted in the changelog, http://www.apachelounge.com/Changelog-2.4.html

There is a section called "Apachelounge changes" and "ASF changes"

Steffen
jpicazio

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep '12 22:54    Post subject: code level changes Reply with quote

Does this also reflect the exact code level changes or are there additional logs for that?

Thanks,

Jeff
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep '12 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till now it rarely happens and the exact change is mentioned in the Readme in the .zip.

Policy is: no changes in the ASF source. Sometime, like now with a APR patch, a patch in trunk is already applied here.

What is your worry ?
jpicazio

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct '12 21:26    Post subject: source code changes Reply with quote

Specifically what I am looking for is what is the actual source code level that has changed, or even the matching source code with the release? Is it possible to have the entire source code for a particular release? It would be nice to have a raw version for security reasons.
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct '12 21:55    Post subject: Re: source code changes Reply with quote

See http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
The Unix source is the same as Windows, except the linefeeds.

And see for details about changes http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/branches/

Steffen
jpicazio

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct '12 22:36    Post subject: apache lounge changes Reply with quote

Steffen,

I wasn't meaning changes apache.org has done, by previous reply was changes apache lounge has done?
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct '12 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think there is some loss in translation going on here, EN->NL.
See: http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=4955

as it was spit off from this topic even though it is directly about this topic.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct '12 11:23    Post subject: Re: source code changes Reply with quote

jpicazio wrote:
It would be nice to have a raw version for security reasons.
Ah, a matter of trust. Can tell you that for example governments and banks are using AL builds and some are doing an security audit. Also AL builds are packaged with commercial software.

Your problem is becoming more complicated when you want a more trust. It is not only httpd source, but there are quite some external dependencies when running sites, like apr, apr-util, apr-iconv, openssl, zlib, pcre, libxml, curl, lua, expat, php, perl etc.

All in the game with open source binary packages, you must trust, or do not use. Same when you use a binary from ASF, they do not do a code review of external dependencies. That is also a reason they official only support the source and not the binaries on apache.org.

jpicazio wrote:
Specifically what I am looking for is what is the actual source code level that has changed, or even the matching source code with the release?
Again all changes are pointed to, and you can check the source code on source level. Apache Lounge does not change either config files, what other packagers do without notice.

jpicazio wrote:
Is it possible to have the entire source code for a particular release?
But that does not guarantee you if a AL binary is build with that source, again a matter of trust. Or maybe you want build your self with the AL source. We can always discuss that.

Steffen
jpicazio

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct '12 15:07    Post subject: banks, etc Reply with quote

Steffen,

Do you have a contact we could speak with at a bank or larger organization that utilized apache lounge?

Thanks,

Jeff
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct '12 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, we do not disclose.

Better you build Apache yourself, then you are completely in control, but still you have to trust external parties and individuals. Or download from httpd.apache.org , but as stated above you have then same trust level.

Steffen
jpicazio

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct '12 20:08    Post subject: Release dates Reply with quote

Hi Steffen,

I noted on http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi the release date for 2.2.23 is (released 2012-09-13)
however on Apache lounge the release for 2.2.23 is posted at 24 Aug '12, I was curious what was the reason for the delta.

One more question, hypothetically when 2.2.24 is release what is the average time for apachelounge to release their build of 2.2.24 (or any future build on average) ?

Thanks!

Jeff
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct '12 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source is first released for voting, voting takes some time. When the voting tends to GA then I start building/testing the final. Also it takes some time that someone at ASF makes the announcement. Btw. the date of the source files is 21 Aug '12
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct '12 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add that 2.2.23 was a strange case. It was released for voting (usually 72 hours) and two weeks later the person who created the release had simply disappeared. Since it had the necessary +1 votes and no -1s, someone else finally picked it up, called the vote passed and moved the source to the download page. The announcement came a day or two after that which is normal, can be longer however when the person releasing forgets.

Reply to topic   Topic: Information on the Builds from Apache Lounge ? View previous topic :: View next topic