logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep '12 21:00    Post subject: Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 Reply with quote

Last week Apache Lounge was running Windows Server 2012. Apache runs with our builds very good, no issues seen. Now back to Windows 2008 R2 sp1, Apache is not the reason, but for me needed (Dell) utilities/programs are not yet supporting 2012 and are working with issues.

I was quickly used to the new user interface. Server 2012 has also a few nice additions and improvements, which I already miss a little bit now I am back to 2008.

I wait till my needed (Dell) utilities/programs supporting Windows Server 2012 and/or Windows 8.

Btw. I tested Windows 8 last month, same story. But at least Apache is running fine also on Windows 8.

Steffen
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct '12 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since last week running again Server 2012. For me needed Dell's utilities/programs were updated for 2012.

All goes fine.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov '12 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

How different is it to 2008?
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov '12 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Server 2012 feels robust and is very stable, like 2008.

What I like special is Storage Spaces, for the Web data I use it as mirror with two disks and the rest as simple and THIN provisioning. My disks have the partition style GUID Partition Table (GPT), this instead of Master Boot Record (MBR), GPT can only be used with an UEFI bios. Disks are formatted with ReFS instead NFTS, this except the boot drive which cannot be NFTS.

•Organization of physical disks into storage pools, which can be easily expanded by simply adding disks. These disks can be connected either through USB, SATA (Serial ATA), or SAS (Serial Attached SCSI). A storage pool can be composed of heterogeneous physical disks – different sized physical disks accessible via different storage interconnects.

•Usage of virtual disks (also known as spaces), which behave just like physical disks for all purposes. However, spaces also have powerful new capabilities associated with them such as thin provisioning, as well as resiliency to failures of underlying physical media.

More info: Storage Spaces

Reply to topic   Topic: Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 View previous topic :: View next topic