logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache, mod_fcgid, spawns only one process
Author
daibach

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jun '12 16:32    Post subject: Apache, mod_fcgid, spawns only one process Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me out here as I feel like I've hit a dead end. I've tried several set ups of Apache (32/64 versions and 2.2/2.4 versions) using mod_fcgid (relevant version for Apache) and PHP nts 5.3.14.

This works fine on one server (Windows 2008 R2 64 bit), I fire off a ton of requests and see php-cgi.exe processes being spawned to cope with them. However, if I take a copy of this setup to two other servers (same OS) and run it without any config changes, it only spawns a single php-cgi.exe process to cope with all the requests.

Really don't know what's going on anymore, anyone else run into this? I don't think it's a configuration issue, as the same config runs fine on my local machine and another server.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun '12 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the number of requests are the same? Run as the same user?
daibach

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun '12 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same number of requests and I tried firing off the requests as different users just to be sure, no difference. I'm using the ApacheBench tool.

Starting to think it might be an Operating System problem with this setup, as I installed IIS and PHP (using their Web Platform installer thingy) via FastCGI. It performs much worse, seems to start multiple PHP processes but doesn't use them or is slow to communicate with them as it's 10 times worse for reqs/s.
daibach

PostPosted: Wed 07 Aug '13 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update on this post of mine. The server was a VM with only a single CPU provided to it. When this was increased to 2, the problem with no extra PHP processes being created, disappeared.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache, mod_fcgid, spawns only one process View previous topic :: View next topic