logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How to update Apache 2.4.6 to 2.4.7
Author
Tina

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan '14 10:44    Post subject: How to update Apache 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 Reply with quote

Dear Apache-Users,

here's my config: Apache/2.4.6 (Win32) PHP/5.5.3 mod_jk/1.2.37 Windows Server 2008 R2 (64Bit)

I want to update my Apache Server from 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 using the zip file. Can you tell me which Files and Folders I have to replace? Or is there some kind of "Howto" I didn't find? I do not want to loose my configs Smile

I run Apache as a Service, do I have to change something there?

Can I use the same mod_jk or is there something else I have to think of?

Thanks a lot,
Tina
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan '14 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just copy all files over, except conf files you have edited. You can still use mod_jk.
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan '14 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Howto as it's pretty simple.

Make a backup copy of your entire Apache folder as it is now and set aside in case things go wrong.

Stop the Apache service.

Copy the contents of the /bin & /modules folder from the zip to the /bin & /modules folder of the existing Apache install.

Try starting the service, if all goes well you've upgraded.

I do not use mod_jk so cannot say for sure but typically you do not need new modules just because you've upgraded Apache.
Anaksunaman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan '14 12:27    Post subject: How to update Apache 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 Reply with quote

I would follow Steffen's and glsmith's advice. They know what they are doing. Smile

To supplement them, here is a bit more detailed post.

If you are installing from zip files, the replacement should be fairly simple. The zip files from Apache Lounge are completely self-contained installs and need nothing additional to run out of the box (other than basic config file tweaking, etc. Wink ).

Exclamation Before upgrading, be careful to backup all your conf files/directories, SSL certificates/directories, virtual host files/directories, etc. or any other custom modifications to the server. Otherwise, you might run into a bunch of work!

A basic upgrade would likely consist of the following:

1.) Stop the Apache service.

2.) Rename your original Apache installation directory (e.g. rename "C:\install\path\Apache24" to something like "C:\install\path\Apache24_old"). This is your basic backup step.

3.) Unzip your new upgraded installation to the old install directory (e.g. "C:\install\path\Apache24").

4.) Copy needed conf files, additional components, etc. from the old install folder to the new install folder (e.g. select the needed files from "Apache24_old" and copy them to "Apache24").

If you are paranoid, you can always uninstall and reinstall the Apache service after step 4 if you like, but is unlikely to be necessary.

A big advantage to keeping the same installation directory is that it should obviate the need for making any conf changes (i.e. everything should be "drag and drop" as far as replacing the new default config files with your old ones -- you may still want to keep the default files as backups though). Furthermore, you should be able to drop custom files (SSL certificates, modules, etc.) into the same locations and have them work as well.

Another big advantage to this approach (simply renaming the old directory) is that you can also keep your old installation "just in case". As long as you don't cannibalize your old install to make it inoperable (i.e. you copy and DON'T cut/paste), you have a backup in case your upgrade goes awry for some reason.

Last edited by Anaksunaman on Mon 27 Jan '14 11:45; edited 1 time in total
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan '14 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anaksunaman, copied your instructions to the How-to's & Documentation & Tips forum, see http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=26642
Anaksunaman

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan '14 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to assist. Smile
Tina

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan '14 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're all so cool, thank you!

I'm already updating and hope the best Smile
Tina

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan '14 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, the update worked fine, I did the rename and copy - method of Anaksunaman. Only disadvantage is that copying the websites takes some time if you have many of them (like me Wink )

So if time matters a lot, you might want to try glsmith's method.
Qmpeltaty

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan '14 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also install another instance of Apache to different location e.g. C:\Apache247 and setup it with different service name httpd.exe -k install -n "Apache247". Then just setup the http and https on the different port than your current Apache. Test your current Apache config with the new instance. When you sure that everything is working fine on 2.4.7 just stop the 2.4.6, change the 2.4.7 listening porst to 80 and 443 and start it.
JCAlexandres

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar '23 20:44    Post subject: Updating Apache 2.4.2 to 2.4.7 Reply with quote

Hi,

We are using Apache on a Windows 2016 Server, it has a very simple functionality of serving a local page so users can launch their application.

Nessus reports show version 2.4.2 has some vulnerabilities, hence it is prompting us to upgrade to 2.4.7, which I did following using the zip file approach and the steps of replacing the Bin and Modules directories after stopping the Apache service and backing up. Restarted the Apache service and it is running.

Now, when Nessus runs the same scan, it may report the vulnerability still in the server as I believe the version of Apache need to be changed in Programs/Installed software.

Any pointers and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you
mraddi

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar '23 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for the successful update to Apache 2.4.7.
I am wondering why you only update from Apache 2.4.2 to 2.4.7?

You can check which version Apache is reporting in its response by checking the HTTP-response-header using the browser's developer-tools or other tools (curl, ... or even telnet - for the nerds Very Happy ).
As Apache 2.4.7 is pretty old (release in november 2013) I guess that it contains a lot of bugs. Some of these bugs were already included in version 2.4.2 and were only fixed in later versions.
So I would opt for updating all the way to the up-to-date-version 2.4.55 (current version at time of writing).

Reply to topic   Topic: How to update Apache 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 View previous topic :: View next topic