logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Nginx vs Other Webservers on WINDOWS ONLY Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
ng4win

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
Is there a max keep alive requests or are all the limits on your versions the same as in the nginx.org wiki ?

The code is consistent with original nginx mainline code including any limits, bugs, shortfalls. Specific exceptions only for Windows are no longer valid with our build.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i will post back here next when i put it on my production servers and let everyone know how the latest nginx 1.7.1.3 RedKnight builds plays out on one of my sites in the worlds top 30,000 sites. It is a video streaming site too. So it should be a decent stress test for it, with a mapped network.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works well i dont realy notice any difference in speed or performance between this and previous nginx.

This is the main part of my config :
Code:
#user  nobody;
worker_processes  auto;

#error_log  logs/error.log;
#error_log  logs/error.log  notice;
#error_log  logs/error.log  info;

error_log  logs/error.log  crit;

#pid        logs/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  16384;
   multi_accept on;
}
worker_rlimit_nofile   20000000;

This is your config :
Code:
#user  nobody;
# multiple workers works !
worker_processes  2;

#error_log  logs/error.log;
#error_log  logs/error.log  notice;
#error_log  logs/error.log  info;

#pid        logs/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  8192;
    # max value 16384, nginx recycling connections+registry optimization =
    #   this.value * 20 = max concurrent connections currently tested with one worker
    #   C1000K should be possible depending there is enough ram/cpu power
    multi_accept on;
}

Do i need worker_rlimit_nofile and if so what is the best setting for it ?
http://stackoverflow.com/a/8217856/1160851
ng4win

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever config you use makes no difference for our build. There are mayor differences with the original nginx version, for instance worker_processes don't do anything because it doesn't work, worker_connections is severely limited. You need to test with a good load such as ab or openload and push it beyond the original nginx limits where the original will stop and ours won't stop. I've never used worker_rlimit_nofile since multiple workers divide the work equally to sustain performance.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ng4win yours build does work amazingly i have no issues with it and like you said with the "auto" parameter on "worker_processes" it divides my load between my cpu.

Looking forward to the new features Very Happy also if you was curious why i requested the pagespeed module, It was only for the on the fly Image optimization: stripping meta-data, dynamic resizing, recompression of images feature it provides. Since I deal with high traffic media sites a feature like that from my understanding over writes the exsisting images on my server when they are requested/pulled by a client.

Saves me having to push images through extra software that hogs cpu and takes a while to finish compressing when users upload images to the server.
ng4win

PostPosted: Tue 27 May '14 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
curious why i requested the pagespeed module, It was only for the on the fly Image optimization

We've already ported pagespeed to windows as a concept port but psol is a real pita, see also https://github.com/pagespeed/ngx_pagespeed/issues/584

Either someone fully ports psol or someone writes pagespeed in Lua Mr. Green

On a serious note, we would consider financially sponsoring anyone who would consider doing this in Lua, we might be able to get other firms to join in if it's fully done in Lua.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Wed 28 May '14 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

After changing the registry with the .reg file optimization should i have to restart the server ?
ng4win

PostPosted: Wed 28 May '14 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
After changing the registry with the .reg file optimization should i have to restart the server ?

Yes.
gijs

PostPosted: Wed 28 May '14 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the .reg to add it as a service?
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Wed 28 May '14 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

gijs wrote:
You mean the .reg to add it as a service?

No the .reg is just to tweak your registry settings to open ports and change port connection limits etc.

I don't know why they named it a service file because it does not add the nginx process as a windows service.

If anything that file should be named "Tweak/Optimize system registry for Nginx connections"

But yeah after running the .reg file i restarted my servers so the settings take effect on the system.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ng4win.

http://wiki.nginx.org/ReverseProxyCachingExample

With the reverse proxy does your nginx version allow caching and with it what is the recommended reverse proxy config you would recommend for a dynamic php based site ?

I came accross this article for Joomal 2.5 might help me.
http://www.bentasker.co.uk/documentation/joomla/219-making-your-joomla-site-fly-with-nginx-reverse-proxy-caching
ng4win

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
Also ng4win.

http://wiki.nginx.org/ReverseProxyCachingExample

With the reverse proxy does your nginx version allow caching and with it what is the recommended reverse proxy config you would recommend for a dynamic php based site ?

It depends what you would call caching, apc or xcache are both available for Windows and both work extremely well, here we prefer xcache.
Any caching example will work, we use original mainline nginx code, just make sure the path is adjusted for Windows.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have Wincache in place on my php install what realy helps and i use expires max; on all static content. Aswell as because i mostly use Joomla 2.5 sites they all use joomla's built in cache. But i want to use Nginx proxy caching too.
ng4win

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
But i want to use Nginx proxy caching too.

Try the example you linked to, even microcaching works.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng4win wrote:
C0nw0nk wrote:
But i want to use Nginx proxy caching too.

Try the example you linked to, even microcaching works.

I just did but i dont see any files showing up in the directory cache or proxy_temp inside the nginx folder.

Code:
proxy_cache_path cache levels=1:2 keys_zone=my-cache:8m max_size=1000m inactive=600m;
proxy_temp_path temp/proxy_temp;

Also what is microcaching ? And shouldn't proxy_cache be caching the html output of my pages ? Maybe i have a miss understanding of how it works ?
ng4win

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old stuff I used to experiment with;

http {
# Configure cache and temp paths
fastcgi_cache_path /caching/fastcgi_cache levels=1:2 keys_zone=cone:5m inactive=1d max_size=500m;
fastcgi_temp_path /caching/fastcgi_temp;

location {
#Caching parameters
proxy_ignore_headers Set-Cookie;
proxy_hide_header Set-Cookie;
fastcgi_cache_key $scheme$host$request_method$request_uri;
fastcgi_cache_valid 200 302 304 30m;
fastcgi_cache_valid 301 1h;
fastcgi_cache_valid any 5m;
fastcgi_cache_use_stale error timeout invalid_header updating http_500;
fastcgi_pass_header Set-Cookie;

This ain't proxy caching but it should be near enough the same mechanism, look it up in the nginx manual.

"Also what is microcaching ? "
See http://tghw.com/blog/microcaching-for-a-faster-site
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i wounder if anything bad come from me using "proxy_cache_use_stale updating;".

Such as if i was to stop the apache service (back end that Nginx is proxying to.) I wounder if that would cause problems.
ng4win

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

C0nw0nk wrote:
Thanks i wounder if anything bad come from me using "proxy_cache_use_stale updating;".

Such as if i was to stop the apache service (back end that Nginx is proxying to.) I wounder if that would cause problems.

No idea, here it was just an experiment to see how things work and it works but nginx internal cache(memory) is faster then disk, see also http://www.yourhowto.net/reverse-proxy-and-cache-server-using-nginx/2/ for a more complete example.
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems to create a faster first byte time, Also because you mentioned it caches it to memory instead of disk is that why the "cache" and "proxy_temp" folder i specified remain empty ?
C0nw0nk

PostPosted: Thu 29 May '14 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out my problem i set "proxy_buffering off;" In my config when i should of set it to on.

Reply to topic   Topic: Nginx vs Other Webservers on WINDOWS ONLY View previous topic :: View next topic