logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: How to Make User for Apache and PHP
Author
HobbyTech

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 22:49    Post subject: How to Make User for Apache and PHP Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm re-posting this here because I didn't see any answers elsewhere, and I think it's because I asked a question in a tutorial thread (sorry).

Steffen wrote:
... make a local user, say, called "Apache" ...grant it the read/list folders...edit Apache's system service...(it might prompt you for the password if you've set any)

I was just trying to do this the other night, but Windows automatically creates a 15-character password and won't let you change it. You can't set up a user account for it, because you don't know the password.

As soon as you create a user account either with a password or without a password, Win-Doze won't let a service use it to log on because it says the passwords don't match, and you can't delete or change this password in the "Logon" tab of the service Properties.

Even if it appears to "take" (i.e., this usr stays selected when you click the "Apply" button), it does not...it is lost as soon as you click "Ok", as you can see by re-opening the properties.

I was logged on as the "Administrator" account (the original administrator) when I tried to do this, it still wouldn't let me). It did not matter whether I edited the service first or created the user account first.

Does anyone know a way around this annoying behavior?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is very important to me, not only for general webserver security, but also because I want to make a user for Apache and PHP to use when accessing a MySQL database.
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul '06 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't create the user in the service console! Create a "normal" user account and set that user to your service!

Reply to topic   Topic: How to Make User for Apache and PHP View previous topic :: View next topic