logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Please help with rules of mixing Apache and PHP binaries
Author
Lazo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug '14 18:52    Post subject: Please help with rules of mixing Apache and PHP binaries Reply with quote

Hi Apacherians,

I am deploying Apache and PHP on the Windows box. I have researched and studied Apache and PHP binary combinations that are supported mainly due to the fact that Apache binaries from apache.org are compiled by different toolbox then PHP (compiler versions are different).

I understand technical reasoning why it is very problematic to mix binaries compiled with different compilers (different memory allocators, STL imcompatibilities across compiler toolchain, etc.). I was surprised to learn that:

"A VC11 binary loads VC11, VC10 and VC9 modules" (http://www.apachelounge.com/download/) and similar statement is repeated for VC10 binaries ("VC10 binary loads VC9, VC10 and VC11 modules").

I would expect that all such combinations should be problematic if interfaces across modules are not designed to abstract implementation details (by using abstract binary interfaces like COM on Windows platform, for example). As it seems there is a problem to run Apache compiled with VC6 and PHP compiled with VC9/10/11, I expect that such binary abstraction for Apache <-> PHP interface is not fully implemented. For this reason I am suprised that while one should not mix Apache VC6 with other compilers it is OK to mix Apache build with VC9/10/10 with PHP build of combination of VC9/10/11.

I would like to ask experts on this forum for help to understand this scenario. I just like to understand what potential risks there are to mix binaries provided by different sources or whether I should rather build Apache and PHP myself.

I am not familiar with Apache and PHP code base so I was hoping someone who is routinely compiling these code bases should be able to quickly answer this question.

I am not challanging it, I am only trying to understand why such complex rules exist; I would expect simple rule - if there is no binary interface between PHP and Apache, mixing of compilers is not allowed at all.

Thank you for your time explaining it
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug '14 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those combinations from your quote are for the apache lounge build and the modules.

Third party modules like PHP should be the same VC version if you run PHP as module. The recommended setup is to run PHP over mod fcgid. Than it doesn't matter which VC version it has.

Reply to topic   Topic: Please help with rules of mixing Apache and PHP binaries View previous topic :: View next topic